Windows Phone-like panorama control, or access to Direct Manipulation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

Is there a default control in the Windows 8.1 SDK that scrolls horizontally and snaps to defined pages (instead of freely scrolling). Something like the Panorama or Pivot controls on Windows Phone. Or if there's nothing like that, is it possible for me to use Direct Manipulation, something more efficient than the manipulation events so I can use my own controls? The top AppBar in the Windows Store is more or less what I'm looking for, when you snap it to a smaller size.

I've already made a WP8-like panorama from scratch for my app, but due to default ScrollViewers using Direct Manipulation and robbing my panorama control of it's manipulation events, I had to make my own scroll viewer from scratch as well. The problem is that they're both laggy during manipulation. It's not terribly laggy (most may not notice it or care, it's like 45 fps), but I kinda want it to be perfect. Both controls use a TranslateTransform to move their content. Though manipulation is a little laggy, the animations still run smoothly.

I'm new to Windows 8 development, so please excuse my lack of knowledge if the answer to this question is obvious. I've been developing for Windows Phone for about a year and a half, and I'm bringing my YouTube app (myTube) to Windows 8. The app offers a bit of a different experience compared to other YouTube apps, and I think an infinitely scrolling panorama is necessary for the app to work.

Thanks for the help! Cheers!

Ryken Productions

Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:24 PM

Answers

• Take a look at the Hub control. If you want to roll your own look at the ScrollViewer's snap points.
    • Marked as answer by Anne Jing Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:56 AM
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:08 PM