none
FileNotFoundException 0x8007007E only with release build when running in 64-bit RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've recently encountered the above problem with a .Net WinForm application that was changed from building as x86 to AnyCPU and thought it'd be worthwhile noting as I've not found this particular situation mentioned elsewhere.

When started on a 64-bit platform the application would fail immediately reporting the following with no indication of what file could not be found:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException was unhandled
        Message: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Event Viewer didn't show anythng useful:

Fault bucket , type 0
        Event Name: APPCRASH
        Response: Not available
        Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
        P1: MyAppName.exe
        P2: 3.4.29.0
        P3: 4ff5516e
        P4: KERNELBASE.dll
        P5: 6.1.7600.16385
        P6: 4a5bdfe0
        P7: e0434f4d
        P8: 000000000000aa7d
        P9:
        P10:

Fuslogvw didn't show anything either.

Strangely the debug build ran without a problem. I still don't know why that is, so if anyone does know, please enlighten me.

I enventually found that the application was built with a manifest file - and since it was originally x86, the references in the manifest specified "x86" rather than "amd64".

Changing those references to "amd64" resolved the problem when running on a 64-bit platform - though I eventually removed the manifest file and used the default "Embed manifest with default settings" option so that the application worked on both 32 & 64-bit platforms.

• Moved by Bob Shen Friday, July 6, 2012 3:10 AM (From:Visual C# General)
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Daivd,

Thanks for your contribution on this forum.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:31 AM