none
visual studio account and Microsoft account - same or different???

Question

• Hello there, 

I've a visual studio account and a Microsoft account... 

For a while now I thought they both are same... 

Recently I change my password for the Microsoft account and the Visual studio account was still using my old password... 

Thats ok. But when I invite a new user to use an existing project, the user gets and email and when they click through the JOIN NOW link in the email. They try to login it gives error that the username doesn't exist... If they try to create one it says that user name exists... 

We are having a very tough time... can some one please help...

Monday, September 19, 2016 3:44 AM

Answers

• Hi KDVijay,

Could you please tell me what's the Visual Studio account?  And how did the new user use your project? Via TFS ? Can you provide us the detailed steps to reproduce your problem?

Generally, Microsoft account can be used to sign in to Visual Studio. You only need to use the Microsoft account to sign in Visual Studio.

If you want to share a project to a new user, one idea I suggest you could use TFS. You can share the project on the TFS server. Then give the permission to the user, then the user can be checkout the project on local and use it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, September 19, 2016 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi KDVijay,

Could you please tell me what's the Visual Studio account?  And how did the new user use your project? Via TFS ? Can you provide us the detailed steps to reproduce your problem?

Generally, Microsoft account can be used to sign in to Visual Studio. You only need to use the Microsoft account to sign in Visual Studio.

If you want to share a project to a new user, one idea I suggest you could use TFS. You can share the project on the TFS server. Then give the permission to the user, then the user can be checkout the project on local and use it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, September 19, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Hi KDVijay,

Since our forum is discussing about TFS only. And for your issue, it is not related to the TFS. About Microsoft account and Visual Studio account. I moved your thread to Visual Studio General forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:16 AM