Azure File Storage RRS feed

• Question

• I setup a simple file directory from the Portal but I can't get to it any other way, either remotely through Windows or via RDP from the virtual server in the Azure system.  

Is there some documentation that will show me the step by step on how to setup and use the File Storage?  

The different login's for the Portal and the Virtual Server has me confused.  I'm not sure which credentials should be used when trying to Map to the Blob or File Storage files.  

Thank you for your assistance I'm stuck at this point.  

Steve M-

Saturday, February 17, 2018 11:05 PM

All replies

• Steve,

you shouldn't be using either of them. When you authenticate to an Azure file share, you need to provide the storage account name and one of two storage account keys. The steps are described in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-how-to-use-files-portal

hth
    Marcin

• Edited by Marcin PolichtMVP Saturday, February 17, 2018 11:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Sunday, February 18, 2018 4:02 AM
    Saturday, February 17, 2018 11:45 PM
  • Azure File Storage is a cloud-based service which does not expose any RDP to remotely connect to. The credential is given via Azure Portal, corresponding to your Share (a term in File service, referred to the highest directory unit).

What you only need to do is use Windows command-line or PowerShell and copy the given command. This command actually is constructed by storage account access key (storage account name + access key). If using the command does not work, you can manually map to local computer with the following information

Folder is the path of the Share. When Windows login prompts, the username is Azure\<your_storage_account_name> and the password is the Storage access key which is the converted string in the command.

Thuan Soldier

Personal Blog | Twitter | Microsoft Azure Defense In Depth Guide

Sunday, February 18, 2018 4:20 AM
  • Thanks for trying to help me on this. It turned out that the files were not in the Azure Cloud but were on the client server that was in Azure forest. I followed what the people before me told me was the situation and it took me a lot of time exploring until I discovered where the data actually was. The permissions on their server were not setup correctly which caused the access problems. The problem has been resolved, thank you.  Steve

Play Hickory Golf

Sunday, May 12, 2019 5:45 AM