How will protocol documents be revised as products are developed? RRS feed

• Question

• As I understand it, the protocol documents capture the state of protocols as they are.

But the products using those protocols are moving on, and it's likely that there will be new information one needs for interoperability.

So how will this happen? To pick a concrete example that I'm interested in: SQL Server 2008 has reached an "rc0" stage, and is planned for a final RTM in Q3 2008:
    http://blogs.technet.com/dataplatforminsider/archive/2008/06/10/sql-server-2008-rc0-available-for-everyone.aspx

Now SQL Server 2008 is intimately linked to the MS-TDS protocol document. I imagine the protocol is already defined and frozen, so could be documented.

Will new documentation appear now?
    Will there be some indication of where changes occur before a new consolidated protocol document appears?
    Will revised protocol documentation appear the corresponding product reaches RTM?
    Or later than that?

Is it reasonable to ask questions (or make comments) about documented protocols as they are used in future versions of Microsoft products?

Actually, I'm not very clear how or when protocol documentation is likely to be revised in general, but perhaps that's a question for another day.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:42 PM

Answers

•  You’re right, the documentation reflects the state of currently released software. Protocol documentation for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 is in process, we will provide updated information regarding the expected release date when it becomes available.

In general,  protocol documentation updates for future product versions will be posted based on the stability and public availability of the new release, and that preliminary documentation will be updated at RTM release. We also understand the requirement to highlight what has changed in updated versions of the document.

It’s absolutely reasonable to ask questions or give us feedback about protocol documentation with reference to publicly available versions of upcoming releases.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:11 PM

All replies

• Paul,

Thank you for your questions.  I will look into this issue and get back to you soon.

Richard Guthrie
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:29 PM
  •  You’re right, the documentation reflects the state of currently released software. Protocol documentation for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 is in process, we will provide updated information regarding the expected release date when it becomes available.

In general,  protocol documentation updates for future product versions will be posted based on the stability and public availability of the new release, and that preliminary documentation will be updated at RTM release. We also understand the requirement to highlight what has changed in updated versions of the document.

It’s absolutely reasonable to ask questions or give us feedback about protocol documentation with reference to publicly available versions of upcoming releases.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Richard,

Thank you for your comprehensive and helpful reply.

Paul
    Friday, July 11, 2008 8:18 AM