SketchFlow: Storing Data Between UI RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a walkthrough on how to store data between UI for SketchFlow applications?  Use Amazon as example.  You go to a UI and select a couple of books, then another UI and add a DVD to list, and another for a bathrobe.  When you navigate back and forth between UI, you can still see what is in your cart.  How can I do this with SketchFlow?  I would love to see examples for both WPF and Silverlight type applications.  If I try now, the data disappears while navigating using the provided Behaviors.

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:11 PM

All replies

• The sample data can be shared across multiple documents if you create it at the project level. That way, each of your screens can contain different views on the same data.

There are a few alternatives to doing the transitions, just as an FYI
    a) You could do multiple screens as you point out
    b) You could use the states mechanism and transitions between states
    c) You could use the SketchFlow animation feature to do states and transitions

Not sure if this was the question being asked, however :).

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:45 PM
  • This somewhat answers my question.  I'm thinking more of the lines of how to create logic for production type release instead of sample data and is not required to be in a SketchFlow project.  I was using SketchFlow because of the ease of using navigation between the UI.

With that said, let's use the Amazon example again but this will be real data collected over several UI.  Let's say I have a Class called Product and it has a ( string ) Description, ( int ) Quantity, and maybe ( int ) Type  [ Type would be basic way to determine what type of product it was in cart ].  For my cart I will use a collection... List<Product>.  So each UI I navigate to, I can add, edit, remove items based on actions.  I'll try to keep it simple.

1. Go to Welcome screen.
    2. Navigate to Books UI and add a book.
    3. Then I add another book.
    4. Navigate to DVDs UI and add a DVD.
    5. Navigate to Clothes UI and add a bathrobe.
    6. Navigate back to Books UI and remove one of the books.
    7. Navigate to Checkout UI and process data.

So in the end, I processed 1 book, 1 DVD and 1 bathrobe when I got to the Checkout UI.

The main question is... how would I setup application to see the items in cart based on type in each UI I navigate to?  Again, I understand SketchFlow is used more to get the message out on how the app will process, but it seems like you would eventually be able to convert the app to another themed style and deploy using real data structure.

Is there anyway your team could release a basic WPF SketchFlow app walking through this topic?  Also, it seems this would be a feature of Blend 3 using Behaviors for collecting info and/or navigating to different UI and does not require SketchFlow.  I am just assuming it would be easier to use SketchFlow to start out with the concept of flowing back/forth in UIs collecting data and processing at the end of workflow.

Hope this helps.  Thanks again.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:24 PM