Warning about disabling metro!

General discussion

• Ok guys, I know lots of you have seen a way to disable Metro UI
    (RPEnabled set to 0)

This disabled a lot(!) more than just metro, it disabled stuff like the new task manager, ribbon, developing for metro...

BTW, Figured out what RP stands for yet? it stands for red pill.. now I'll save you guys the search

"The term red pill and its opposite, blue pill, are pop culture terms that have become a common symbol for the choice between the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue) and embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality (red). "

Anyway, it's a good way to get back to Windows7 without having to get back to an actual Windows7.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus (slightly dissapointed Metro UI user)

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:02 AM

All replies

• Ok guys, I know lots of you have seen a way to disable Metro UI
    (RPEnabled set to 0)

This disabled a lot(!) more than just metro, it disabled stuff like the new task manager, ribbon, developing for metro...

BTW, Figured out what RP stands for yet? it stands for red pill.. now I'll save you guys the search

"The term red pill and its opposite, blue pill, are pop culture terms that have become a common symbol for the choice between the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue) and embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality (red). "

Anyway, it's a good way to get back to Windows7 without having to get back to an actual Windows7.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus (slightly dissapointed Metro UI user)

Found a way around it, set RPEnabled to 0, bit later when the interface is all Windows7 like, enable it again. You get to use all Windows8 features, minus the metro UI! ;)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Are you saying the disabling (RPEnabled to 0) and enabling it back (RPEnabled to 1) will not bring back the metro UI?
    I tried it myself, blogged about it and created a small tool to save sometime for those who want to try it.

Here is my little tool to bring back classic menu and disable metro UI in Windows 8 

So far I haven't seen any problems in setting this back and forth. Am I missing something?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Seems like you are mate, disabling it will ENABLE windows7. thus disables every windows8 function! (check for the taskmanager -> ribbon in explorer, etc...) Most importantly, you can't develop for metro anymore..

If you however, disable it and straight again enable it, this will enable all windows8 functions apart from the metro UI (untill reboot / logoff)
    I blogged about it aswell, www.it-ca.net/blogdylan

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:51 AM
  • Dylan,

Thanks for the update. But I am still not convinced. Disabling the metro will disable the features only as long as you keep it disabled. I did not have any issues in getting everything back including Metro UI when I reset the value in the registry.

May be I am missing something while trying out too many things at the same time. I will experiment a bit more on this and update here!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:15 AM
  • I left the UI Disabled for a bit before enabling it..Maybe it's just a 'lucky' bug from my part that it doesn't enable the UI again ^^
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:17 AM
  • No, you are right, just tried it several time, if you change the registry key to 0, kill explorer, and put it back to 1 straight away, every new stuff is back except the UI (which come back the next time you kill explorer). Quite an easy way to go between the two UI.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:00 AM
  • I'd like to add that since this is a developer's preview, unless you want to develop for Metro, you shouldn't be using it. There's no point in complaining about UI that is reportedly incomplete.
    wsf
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Try setting it to the value "2" to disable the Metro UI, but keep all the other improvements.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Normally I'd be tempted to agree with you WSantos, but Microsoft has a well established reputation for declaring betas as feature complete. 

Had hundreds of thousands of people neglected to download it and try it, that amounts to hundreds of thousands of voices that might not have a chance to prevent Metro from destroying the "traditional" desktop experience.

Further, Microsoft fully intended non-developers to download it free and clear, otherwise we would have been required to enter our credentials before the download would begin.

Supporting this premise even further, when launching the design studio a splash window declares developer license credentials must be installed before using said package.  When you click, you just get access, no actual credentials or keys need to be entered.

So, you might be right from a common-sense perspective, but Microsoft actually went out of their way to ensure all who wanted to see it could,  even the devolper tools themselves.

DAS

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:01 PM