none
What prerequisites VFP9? RRS feed

• Question

• My consulting databases are all on VFP. My 32-bit Win-7 computer ran VFP9 SP2 perfectly. The new equipment 64-bit Win10 will install the original disks only to a point when it requires "prerequisites." What are the Prerequisites? I upgraded from FoxPro5. So, over the years, I never needed a fresh install. What do I need?

Friday, April 12, 2019 4:54 PM

Answers

• Yes, but you don't get to that screen if you start SETUP.EXE instead of VFPSTART.HTA. As I said earlier, just look into autorun.inf, if you don't see one: Change your Windows Explorer folder options to show all files and extensions.

It's been a long time since the release of the installer CD and todays systems don't do autorun.inf anymore, this was a way too easy mechanism for viruses to spread on USB thumb drives.

So if you just take a glimpse on the installation CD and don't start the right thing you don't get to the overall installer but straight to the core VFP installer and that complains about missing prerequisites.

The situation was worse for the VFP8 CD, as its prerequisite installer didin't install MSXML3 or 4 when a later main version already existed. Or something similar like that. This might happen here, too, The last time I installed VFP from CD was on a Win7  and 8 system and both worked fine, I migrated both systems to Win10 with VFP already installed and didn't need to reinstall, but from the Win7 and 8 experience I am pretty sure (99%) this will not fail like VFP8 and install the necessary prerequisites, just start the right thing.

After the preeequisite and main installation I guess the services releases won't work anymore, but searcch VFPX on GitHub and you get more than Service Packs and the Sedna release, for example an extended help with legacy help topics merged with the latest VFP9 help.

Bye, Olaf.

Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:38 PM

All replies

• If you look at the install screen, click on this #1 Prerequisites link to install them...

http://www.mattslay.com

Friday, April 12, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Yes, but you don't get to that screen if you start SETUP.EXE instead of VFPSTART.HTA. As I said earlier, just look into autorun.inf, if you don't see one: Change your Windows Explorer folder options to show all files and extensions.

It's been a long time since the release of the installer CD and todays systems don't do autorun.inf anymore, this was a way too easy mechanism for viruses to spread on USB thumb drives.

So if you just take a glimpse on the installation CD and don't start the right thing you don't get to the overall installer but straight to the core VFP installer and that complains about missing prerequisites.

The situation was worse for the VFP8 CD, as its prerequisite installer didin't install MSXML3 or 4 when a later main version already existed. Or something similar like that. This might happen here, too, The last time I installed VFP from CD was on a Win7  and 8 system and both worked fine, I migrated both systems to Win10 with VFP already installed and didn't need to reinstall, but from the Win7 and 8 experience I am pretty sure (99%) this will not fail like VFP8 and install the necessary prerequisites, just start the right thing.

After the preeequisite and main installation I guess the services releases won't work anymore, but searcch VFPX on GitHub and you get more than Service Packs and the Sedna release, for example an extended help with legacy help topics merged with the latest VFP9 help.

Bye, Olaf.

Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:38 PM
  • Hello,

here you find a very good article from woody how to install from scratch, even without CD.

It is in german, but maybe it helps.

http://woody-prolib.blogspot.com/2010/01/vfp9-komplett-installieren.html

Regards

tom

Monday, April 15, 2019 6:56 AM