Connecting to Rest services from BizTalk RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently learning about consuming a Rest service from BizTalk. We currently have the BizTalk 2013 r2 environment and I understand we can use WCF-WebHttp adapter for this. But I am not sure how to create the schemas, orchestration for these application. All I need to do is GET the response from the Rest service call in BizTalk. Do I need to create the schemas, orchestration, deploy the application and then use the wizard to create the receive location. what should be the schema members. I did look in to the articles but I am following the step by step process. Any help with the steps involved in consuming the rest service in BizTalk

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:16 PM

Answers

• First, don't over think this.  There isn't anything particularly special about working with REST services vs any other service, endpoint or format.

BizTalk in particular treats everything pretty much the same.  So, if the service returns Xml, ok, it's just another Xml message.  If the service return JSON, no problem, you just Decode the JSON Xml just like you would a flat file or EDI.

Schemas, Maps, Properties, Orchestrations, sure, just like you would any other app.  That you now have a REST endpoint makes little difference.

The only real learning curve is the particulars of the WCF-WebHttp which is really just a more flexible HTTP Adapter.  In fact, understanding the standards around HTTP will be the most beneficial thing, then the WCF-WebHttp Adapter will just make sense.

Monday, October 16, 2017 7:17 PM

All replies

• Could you please specify which tutorials you have looked at

Is the external API returning JSON or XML data?

This example should push you through the very basics
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18935.biztalk-server-2013-consuming-a-restful-endpoint-using-wcf-webhttp.aspx

Create a WCF-WebHttp send port to request data from the Airport Service at US Federal Aviation Administration
    http://services.faa.gov/airport/status/SEA?format=xml

/Peter

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Thanks Peter I didtake a look at the example you sent me. I directly says about creating the send ports. And I am not sure how to create the schemas and its member for  the consumed service. 

Does the schema needs to have all the tags above as member? and then create a property schema out of it?

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:51 PM
  • An xml schema (xsd) is the basis for create and validate an xml document 
    Yes you need to have a data schema at some point but not to get this very basic example to work

Why do you think you need a property schema?

Do small steps in the start

/Peter

Monday, October 16, 2017 6:05 PM
  • First, don't over think this.  There isn't anything particularly special about working with REST services vs any other service, endpoint or format.

BizTalk in particular treats everything pretty much the same.  So, if the service returns Xml, ok, it's just another Xml message.  If the service return JSON, no problem, you just Decode the JSON Xml just like you would a flat file or EDI.

Schemas, Maps, Properties, Orchestrations, sure, just like you would any other app.  That you now have a REST endpoint makes little difference.

The only real learning curve is the particulars of the WCF-WebHttp which is really just a more flexible HTTP Adapter.  In fact, understanding the standards around HTTP will be the most beneficial thing, then the WCF-WebHttp Adapter will just make sense.

Monday, October 16, 2017 7:17 PM