ADO.NET Data Services - Performance - Load time RRS feed

• Question

• I've been messing around with using ADO.NET Data Services from a WPF destkop application.

I love the overall architecture of this. Great stuff.

The one issue I'm running into is that the performance seems very slow (10 + seconds to load on my local machine).

I'm doing a simple query returning a list of entries in a very small table (and Not using $expand, thus lazy loading).

Is this perfomance issue due to the fact that this in still relatively early in the product stage, or is there something I can do to optimize performance?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:30 AM

Answers

• We had not done much performance work at the time we cut the bits for the December 2007 CTP, so this is expected. We have several known aspects that need to be tweaked. For example, we're working on both metadata caching and query caching, which should improve warm system performance.

Given that you mention load time, note that while all performance is important, since this is a server system we optimize for warm performance over cold performance. For example, we take extra time during initialization to build all the data structures that we need so that once the system is in steady state you pay minimum overhead for anything that can be done only once and amortized across many requests.

Next iteration will have some of the perf work in place, and it should get better from there.

Pablo Castro
    Technical Lead
    Microsoft Corporation
    http://blogs.msdn.com/pablo

Monday, December 24, 2007 7:25 PM