Can not uninstall ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly installed on several servers and wish to uninstall before installing the released version. However when one goes through control panel, add/remove programs, uninstall ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly. The uninstall process NEVER offers uninstall (nor repair) as an option. It tires to install and fails stating the that ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly needs to be uninstalled first.

How does one uninstrall ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly?
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:13 PM

All replies

• On 6/16/2011 8:13 AM, dmako wrote:
    > We currently have ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly installed on
    > several servers and wish to uninstall before installing the released
    > version. However when one goes through control panel, add/remove
    > programs, uninstall ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly. The
    > uninstall process NEVER offers uninstall (nor repair) as an option. It
    > tires to install and fails stating the that
    > ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly needs to be uninstalled first.
    >
    >
    > How does one uninstrall ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly?

I would say you would have to go back to the install.exe itself which
    may give you an option to uninstall it when executed.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Tried install and tried install from full version vs. runtime, same thing must uninstall first.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Hi dmako,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 20, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Is it possible you are uninstalling with the wrong exe?

There are two installers for CTP2 here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23113. I was able to repro your behavior by running the RuntimeOnly installer after installing the standard installer.

This might be a shot in the dark but try going to the link above, downloading both installers and run them one at a time and see if either will give you the uninstall option.

Shayne 

Monday, June 20, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Is it possible you are uninstalling with the wrong exe?

There are two installers for CTP2 here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23113. I was able to repro your behavior by running the RuntimeOnly installer after installing the standard installer.

This might be a shot in the dark but try going to the link above, downloading both installers and run them one at a time and see if either will give you the uninstall option.

Shayne 

I have tried running with both the runtime and full versions of the installers, same results, they try to install and state that one must uninstall first.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi dmako,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

I have opened a case with Microsoft with this issue and went through our issue through support assist.  So far we are unable to remove the application.

To date (from memory) I have tried:

Running install program to uninstall both runtime and full version

Logged on as user who performed the install

Ran regedit and executed uninstall string

Ran the above in both 32 and 64 bit command prompt (runas administrator)

From install directory of CTP2 ran install, uninstall, and a setup helper executable.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:55 PM
  • See also this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adodotnetdataservices/thread/ef14371a-9b06-4513-b8d1-69a74b7ba754/

Some customers have reported issues uninstalling the CTP when trying to uninstall as a different user than the one that installed it. Generally the fix has been to log in as the same user who installed and run the uninstall.

Shayne Burgess | Program Manager | OData/WCF Data Services
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:45 PM
  • See also this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adodotnetdataservices/thread/ef14371a-9b06-4513-b8d1-69a74b7ba754/

Some customers have reported issues uninstalling the CTP when trying to uninstall as a different user than the one that installed it. Generally the fix has been to log in as the same user who installed and run the uninstall.

Solved!

It was as stated that we needed to be logged onto as the ID who installed. We do use an ID to install and when this ID failed to uninstall I assumed this wasn't the fix.  However it seems that someone had used their ID, this was discovered in the setup logs.

Once we logged on with that ID the uninstall was successful.

Now while this is good fro our first set of servers, I fear that the next set were installed by an indiviual who has left the company, how would one unistall under these conditions?

Also if for some reason we are never able to uninstall would simply installing NDP35SP1-KB976126-v2-x64.exe be 'good enough'?

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Great, I'm glad we were able to solve the first part of the issue.

When we created the installers, the upgrade path was to fully uninstall any CTPs and then install the RTM (the CTPs are NOT intended to ever be installed on a production machine) and simply installing the RTM over the CTP is not supported - because it is not supported I can't give you any meaningful assurance that there won't be some unintended negative conseqeuence of installing the RTM right over the CTP.

Could you possibly post (or send me) the install log files for the machines that don't work? Run the installer from an elevated command prompt with a "/l log.txt" switch to get the log file. I suspect that the inability to uninstall maybe a file permission issue and the log file might give a clue on which file it is. 

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:40 PM

When we created the installers, the upgrade path was to fully uninstall any CTPs and then install the RTM (the CTPs are NOT intended to ever be installed on a production machine) and simply installing the RTM over the CTP is not supported - because it is not supported I can't give you any meaningful assurance that there won't be some unintended negative conseqeuence of installing the RTM right over the CTP.

Could you possibly post (or send me) the install log files for the machines that don't work? Run the installer from an elevated command prompt with a "/l log.txt" switch to get the log file. I suspect that the inability to uninstall maybe a file permission issue and the log file might give a clue on which file it is. 

We will attempt an uninstall on Tuesday (6/28) if the unistall fails I obtain the logs you requested.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:37 AM

I found another server that has the CTP installed and I also have full access to. I trired to obtain a log and thsi is what I received:

ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly.exe /L d:\dm log.txt

The following error occurred during setup:

The installation package or a needed file could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:24 PM

I found another server that has the CTP installed and I also have full access to. I trired to obtain a log and thsi is what I received:

ADONETDataServices_v15_CTP2_RuntimeOnly.exe /L d:\dm log.txt

The following error occurred during setup:

The installation package or a needed file could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access.

Using the full vesion of the CTP2 I am able to get a log file, how can I get you this log file?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Email it to me sburges <at> microsoft <dot> com and i'll take a look.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 10:00 PM