none
Signed Word 2010 template project installed successfully, but how do I use it? RRS feed

• Question

• I've started Word 2010 template project in Visual Studio 2010 Professional using VSTO. To test deployment I now have use COMODO certificate to sign the manifests and publish to website. On Website a link is provided to .vsto-file in base folder of published files.

Using Internet Explorer Clickonce is started on clicking link to .vsto file. Next I'm prompted to confirm installation (with publisher naming me due to existing certificate) and finally installation is claimed to having succeeded.

Well, but how do I open a new document based on installed template now? Starting Word 2010, selecting File -> New there is no new template.

All docs I've found online (MSDN, forums here, Google) are either confusing or missing that point.

So, what's the intended way of using a deployed VSTO template? It's not about requiring to download the dotm file in addition, is it? And it's not about using wrong edition of Office 2010 (Home And Business), is it?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Soletan

The problem is the ClickOnce type of deployment. That doesn't let you "expose" the document. You'd need an MSI deployment in order to be able to place the document (template) in a specific folder (the user's or a workgroup's Templates folder).

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Soletan Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Using MSI doesn't seem to be the only way ... it's possible to add post-deploy actions to ClickOnce deployments as well:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465291.aspx

By following this more uptodate tutorial it was possible to have a PDA to move my template to Word's template folder.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Soletan

The problem is the ClickOnce type of deployment. That doesn't let you "expose" the document. You'd need an MSI deployment in order to be able to place the document (template) in a specific folder (the user's or a workgroup's Templates folder).

• Marked as answer by Soletan Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

thanks for your answering reply.

Pardon me for considering this whole deployment process to be ridiculously complex. ClickOnce is easy to use and easy to deploy, but it's not capable to fetch such basic prerequisites as .NET framework or similar. In addition, what is it good for to have a ClickOnce deployment option for VSTO template projects when this deployment isn't including proper exposition of the template itself to the user? Is it going to be clicktwice? Or maybe Multiclick?

And since I started to read documents on MSDN about having MSI deployment for my template project IMHO things aren't getting any better. The docs are complex and anything but easy to read nor easy to understand. Okay, there are obviously simple docs as well, such as http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc442767.aspx. But even that short text is basically referring to several separate pages each explaining some parts, but more generally, rarely related to VSTO template project deployment. Finally some refer to pages on deploying with clickonce ... but what part of clickonce documentation is intended to clarify use of MSI deployment? That's anything but obvious.

It looks like documentation of MSI deployment is out of focus, thus very sketchy, at least for VS 2010. Older statements don't seem to apply anymore. While MSI apparently isn't promoted as much as ClickOnce anymore the latter is still lacking something as simple as deploying a template so users can click and start using. ... I'm hardly frustrated and it's only the customer requiring me to deliver something working what makes me to stay tuned to this issue.

• Edited by Soletan Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:21 PM
  • I agree with you completely!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Using MSI doesn't seem to be the only way ... it's possible to add post-deploy actions to ClickOnce deployments as well:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465291.aspx

By following this more uptodate tutorial it was possible to have a PDA to move my template to Word's template folder.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:58 PM