none
VS Community 2015 Code Editor providing the wrong property options

Question

• With Visual Studio Community 2015 the Code Editor was working correctly before the Windows KB update that I had on 10/02/2016 and the VS Update 1 were installed 

In the image below frmMain.Visible was created before the Updates were installed but now when I type FrmMain I have Class Options frmMain.ScrollStateHScrollVisible

When you Mouse Over the top Black version of frmMain.Visible it shows property, but when you mouse over the bottom Blue version it shows Class

The project was created from the start in VS Community 2015 and the code options were correct. Not at all sure why they are now not coorrect.

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not really sure what your question really is but as far as .NET is concerned

• a form doesn't have a .visible property in the Property list at design time
    • a form is a Class.

Cyrille Precetti

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:20 PM
  • This is not a web page for .net

This is a Desktop project where Forms are used

For a Desktop project frmMain.Visible = True is correct code to either show or hide a Form

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Yes and as you probably noticed the Intellisense when you type in "frmMain." doesn't offer Visible as an option in the class properties does it?

Cyrille Precetti

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Hello 

No it does not  offer Visible as an option now but that was not the case before. When the projected was started Visible was offered as an option.

This was started as a Project Windows Form Application where Forms are used

I have copied the project to a friends computer where he has VS 2013 and there the Project and code works correctly and shows Visible as an option

With VS 2015 Community it was working and showing  Visible as an option

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Yes you are rigth, just checked with VS2010 and Visible is offered by Intellisense.

However I don't think this is a bug as it nudges you (gently) to use .Show and .Hide instead of .Visible=True and .Visible=False... a more object-oriented feel to it.

My guess is that it is probably an incremental move so every languages are equivalent...

Cyrille Precetti

Monday, February 15, 2016 9:43 PM
  • I am not sure if there is a change to the programming language requirement with Update 1 or if there is a problem caused by the updates. 

While you can no longer type

frmMain.Visible = True

That does work when I compile and run the code

It also works if I type frmMain and then copy and paste .Visible = True onto frmMain - which is strange. 

To get around the problem I now have to type

My.Forms.frmMain.Visible = True

and then that shows the correct options

It also accepts that having typed  My.Forms.frmMain.Visible = True that I can then delete My.Forms. and leave the frmMain.Visible = True without that causing a problem or any auto correction to frmMain.ScrollStateHScrollVisible

frmMain.show does not work on my computer

I need to go and check on the Visual Studio site and see if they mention any changes to the way you create code

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Thanks for Cyrille Precetti's help.

Hi DavidMills11,

Since it has this issue after you installed the updates, as far as I know, the VS2015 has the update 2 CTP, if possible, you could test it using this CTP version:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-update2-vs.aspx

Of course, as you said that it doesn't have this issue in VS2013 or without the update, or it still has this issue with update 2 CTP, maybe we could get better explanations from the product team here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

You could submit a feedback, and then you will get email notification for update.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Thank you Jack - I have already submitted a query to the product team a few days ago and have had no response, which is why I started to look on the Forum to see if anyone else had raised the same issue. Could not find anything, hence this post.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Hi DavidMills11,

>>I have already submitted a query to the product team a few days ago and have had no response.

Could you share us the link about the report if you have submitted it? So other members who get the same issue could help you vote it, and we could also get the latest information from the product team.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:46 AM
  • Hi Jack

I eventually have a reply and a link

Sorry for the slow reply.  It looks like this is indeed a regression with VS2015 Update 1.  It looks like we fixed a bug where we were incorrectly showing instance members after a type name, and when we did so, we forgot to take the My.Forms collection into account.

I’ve filed https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/9087 to track fixing this

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:48 AM