none
Access Unrecognized Database Format

Question

• Hello, 

I hope I am asking this question in the correct forum.  

I have Visual Studio Community 2015 and Access 2016 running on a new PC build, Windows 10 Pro.  

I am working on a program that requires reading and writing to a very simple database.  I created the db in Access (2 tables linked with primary key). 

When I try to add the data source to the vb.net project, I am getting the error Unrecognized Database Format and then the path.  

A similar project worked just fine on my previous machine (VS 2015 / Access 2010 / Windows 7 Pro).  I have read countless threads on this subject around 2007 and 2010, something about accdb files that I am not tracking and lots of talk about ACE.OLEDB.12.0.

The following is exactly what I am doing (wizard):

Add New Data Source --> databse --> Dataset --> New Connection --> Microsoft Access Database File --> select the accdb file --> Test Connection = fail

If I click on advanced, Provider is Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0

Interestingly, on the Choose Your Data Connection page (where you click on new connection), the connection string Provider is 

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\dbTeam.accdb

(dbTeam.accdb is the file I am trying to use)

I am at a loss here.  Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Has something changed with the new access that is throwing this? I presume Windows 10 VS 7 pro isn't the issue.  

Thank you

Chris

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

According to your description, I create a sample VB project and try connect to the Access 2016 database and I get the same result with you. Then I try to connect old version of Access database and it is successful.

I find the Provider that used to connect the old version is Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0. But for Access 2016 database, we should use Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0. So we need to install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable and 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components, which will help us install and register Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 to our local machine.

Then please connect the Access 2016 database with following steps.

Add New Data Source --> databse --> Dataset --> New Connection --> Microsoft Access Database File --> select the accdb file -> Click Advanced button to change the Provider. Then click the OK button back to the Add connection windows and Test connect, it will success.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:32 AM

All replies

• UPDATE

I saved the file in access for Access 2000 compatibility and tried the same steps as before and the test connection succeeded with no problems.

I was suspecting that something had changed from Access 2010 to 2016 and decided to try in an "older" format.  This worked, but I do not understand why.

Thank you

Chris

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:16 AM
  • Hi Chris,

According to your description, I create a sample VB project and try connect to the Access 2016 database and I get the same result with you. Then I try to connect old version of Access database and it is successful.

I find the Provider that used to connect the old version is Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0. But for Access 2016 database, we should use Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0. So we need to install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable and 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components, which will help us install and register Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 to our local machine.

Then please connect the Access 2016 database with following steps.

Add New Data Source --> databse --> Dataset --> New Connection --> Microsoft Access Database File --> select the accdb file -> Click Advanced button to change the Provider. Then click the OK button back to the Add connection windows and Test connect, it will success.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:32 AM