Serveless with Indefinite Pause? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, will Azure SQL Serverless pause indefinitely, or is there a limit to how long it can stay paused? I have SQL Server database that sometimes goes a year without access. I'd like to not have to worry about backing it up or anything, and would like to know that the DB is ready to spin up whenever I need it, even if over a year later.

Thanks.

Greg

Saturday, May 23, 2020 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hello, will Azure SQL Serverless pause indefinitely, or is there a limit to how long it can stay paused? I have SQL Server database that sometimes goes a year without access. I'd like to not have to worry about backing it up or anything, and would like to know that the DB is ready to spin up whenever I need it, even if over a year later.

Thanks.

Greg

hi Greg

>> will Azure SQL Serverless pause indefinitely

No.

Autoresuming is triggered by Microsoft maintenance like deployment of some service updates which require the database be online. In addition there are multiple triggers for Autoresuming. You ca get the list in the official documentation here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-serverless#autoresuming

>> I'd like to not have to worry about backing it up

Azure Database is automatically backed up and you do not have any option to execute BACKUP commend. Therefore, it is not relevant.

>> the DB is ready to spin up whenever I need it, even if over a year later.

Should be in theory

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, May 23, 2020 10:49 PM
  • Hi GHTWO,

As Ronen has stated, there will be instances where autoresume will be initiated as part of maintenance but if you set the autopause delay value to the shortest duration available (60 min), your instance will then auto pause to minimize compute charges. You will continue to be billed for storage.

The autopause delay is a configurable parameter that defines the period of time the database must be inactive before it is automatically paused. The database is automatically resumed when the next login or other activity occurs. Alternatively, autopausing can be disabled.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Mike

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 10:53 PM
  • Hi Ronen, thank you! Based on this I will proceed (but perhaps keep a local backup handy just in case).
    Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:11 PM
  • Hi Mike, thank you -- this will be my first foray into Azure so just want to make sure I understand. Thanks again.
    Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:12 PM
  • Hi Ronen, thank you! Based on this I will proceed ().

You are most welcome :-)

Note: Don't forget to close the thread

>> but perhaps keep a local backup handy just in case

It is always good idea to have a backup plan and a backup to the backup and if you are me then probably you will will also have backup to the backup of the backup and usually I will backup this as well 😀 I LOVE BACKUPS

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:13 PM