SSRS Filtering...I think RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a report that the Business User now wants to parameterize...but not really. I think what she means is to filter based on the result set...similar to filtering that is done in Excel. I have tried playing with filtering on the SSRS Dataset and adding via a parameter...but I'm struggling here. So I know I need to build the filter based on the result set. And we're talking about an ID here so it has to be unique or shall we say DISTINCT. I've also done my due diligence in Google searches and can't seem to find how to do that...(but I'll continue searching...but also hoping for a quick response here...)

Any help would be appreciated from this SSRS novice.

Thanks in advance for your review and am hopeful for a reply.

PSULionRP

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Based on your description, it seems that you want to add a parameter to the report and filter the report on dataset.
    If I understanding correctly, you want to can create a query parameter in the dataset query. Reporting Services automatically creates corresponding report parameters that are indirectly linked to the query parameters. Please refer to the following query:
    Select columns From table Where columnname In(@parametername)
    Or you can create a parameter in Report Data tab and specify the filter condition on the dataset.
    For more information, please see:
    Adding Parameters to Your Report
    How to: Add a Filter (Reporting Services)

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, March 4, 2013 1:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, March 4, 2013 1:11 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:31 AM

All replies

• Any chance of seeing the query you are using?

Thanks! Josh Ash

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Hello,

Based on your description, it seems that you want to add a parameter to the report and filter the report on dataset.
    If I understanding correctly, you want to can create a query parameter in the dataset query. Reporting Services automatically creates corresponding report parameters that are indirectly linked to the query parameters. Please refer to the following query:
    Select columns From table Where columnname In(@parametername)
    Or you can create a parameter in Report Data tab and specify the filter condition on the dataset.
    For more information, please see:
    Adding Parameters to Your Report
    How to: Add a Filter (Reporting Services)

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, March 4, 2013 1:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, March 4, 2013 1:11 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:31 AM