Media Source and MFT demux RRS feed

• Question

• Assume I create a media source and mft demux. Is it possible for the demux to send some information back to the source (like position and size of data)? Thanks!
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:36 PM

Answers

• Media Foundation uses a connectionless model, so the source and demux cannot talk to each other directly. Also there is no mechanism to send events upstream, back to the source.

The preferred approach is to put the demux functionality into the source, instead of using a separate demux MFT. (The ASF Media Source works this way.) I don't know if that works for your particular scenario.

- Mike

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:09 PM

All replies

• Can we somehow use event to do this job?
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:01 PM
  • Or can I get a pointer to the Source object by the COM QueryInterface inside the demux?
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Media Foundation uses a connectionless model, so the source and demux cannot talk to each other directly. Also there is no mechanism to send events upstream, back to the source.

The preferred approach is to put the demux functionality into the source, instead of using a separate demux MFT. (The ASF Media Source works this way.) I don't know if that works for your particular scenario.

- Mike

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:09 PM
  • Thanks! Mike
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:09 PM