Reading a USB HID device RRS feed

• Question

• I have a console device that connects to a USB port via USB-HID and uses the hid.dll driver.   The console device generates keystrokes.

I would like to write a program that reads the keystrokes generated by the console device.

If I write a Windows program that traps WM_KEYDOWN it works fine, but the program must have focus.   So if I can read the usb-hid device directly, the program doesn't need focus.   I have tried trapping the keyboard, but there are latency issues.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:33 PM

Answers

• The correct was is to grab RAW INPUT from the USB HID device using:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645543.aspx

as a start.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:14 PM
  • You can hook keyboard events directly with SetWindowsHookEx and capture low level keyboard events, even if your program does not have focus.

There is also a way to interact directly with the HID, but I never tried that. The DDK does have some samples, so if you really need to go via HID you could have a look at those samples.

The DDK is a free download nowadays as part of the KMDF.

And finally, you could write a keyboard filter driver that is inserted in the device driver stack but I would not go there if you can avoid it. using the windows hook or HID should work.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:16 AM

All replies

• You can hook keyboard events directly with SetWindowsHookEx and capture low level keyboard events, even if your program does not have focus.

There is also a way to interact directly with the HID, but I never tried that. The DDK does have some samples, so if you really need to go via HID you could have a look at those samples.

The DDK is a free download nowadays as part of the KMDF.

And finally, you could write a keyboard filter driver that is inserted in the device driver stack but I would not go there if you can avoid it. using the windows hook or HID should work.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:16 AM
  • For some reason hooking the keyboard is slow.   So I would like to see if I could read the HID USB driver.

There is a refererence in a document on the web (doc7645.pdf - USB PC Driver based on HID Class) to some sample code:

UsbHidDemoCodeDlg.cpp

but I have no idea where that is.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:08 PM
  • UsbHidDemoCodeDlg.cpp is a file to a dll product from Atmel.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:12 PM
  • The correct was is to grab RAW INPUT from the USB HID device using:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645543.aspx

as a start.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:14 PM

• This sounds great, but I'm using an older Visual Studio 6 and my winuser.h doesn't include the required structure and function definitions...

Can someone get me an updated one pls.

thx, Jo

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:55 PM