none
Newbie to WES7 RRS feed

• Question

• We are starting to work on WES 7 systems. Few questions:

1.)    In WES2009, one can run VPC2007 to test build images without having to reboot the system in dual boot stage. Is this possible with WES7? We tried the IBW and it has to reboot the system, which can be quite cumbersome.

2.)    Have gone through the comparison between WES7 and XPE, apart from higher storage space – are there any technical glitches that we need to watch out for in WES7, in this we mean stability.

3.)    Was wondering if can we boot and RUN WES7 in an embedded system with USB flash drive, without the need of a physical SATA or IDE harddrive? Are there facilities to boot via a compact flash? I presume if a compact flash is recognise as a IDE controller, it should theoretically boot as well.

4.)    Finally are there any online training that one can quickly get in grasp with WES7?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:32 AM

All replies

• 1) Yes, you simply need to use VPC and boot from the IBW ISO.

2) Stability has been very good for me in the various betas and RCs

3) Yes, there are USB booting components just as there were in XPe

4) I'm sure there will be, but there's also howtos in the docs that are helpful. You'll find that it's much easier to develop images in 7 than in XPe.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:37 PM
  • Hi SFiorito

Thanks for the reply.

1.) You reckon that will run in XP mode (VPC) as well? I'll try in a while

4.) I've literally tried IBW and that's blinking good, very impressed with WES7 over XPE. Will be looking into ICE next - which is again different from TD.

Not sure if anyone has any news of when WES7 actual launch date?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:14 PM
  • The anoucement was made at ESC a few weeks ago. RTM version should be available soon.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Hi folks

To SFiorito

1,) Loading IBW in VPC is easy but what I was planning is load IBW in VPC and boot the build image in VPC as well. What's the easier way here without having to dual boot? How do one map the build image into VPC 

To Sean

1.) Was wondering if WES7 has any target audience, it seems that I'm reading that it's mainy large oem. Will WES7 and activation licensing be available for low volume manufacturer? Will there be much cost difference?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:40 PM
  • In the PR, you will see the target focus is thin clients and other media devices. Activation is not needed - they were able to get this removed.

Pricing hasn't been released as far as I know. You should check with a distirbutor for more information.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:26 PM
  • I would recommend you place your image config file and any other supporting files you need deployed on a network share, then when you boot using IBW you can mount the share and tell IBW to use that config file. That's the quickest method for me as I am building and debugging image configs.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:39 PM