none
StorAhci sample on Win8.1-x64 system? RRS feed

• Question

• I've downloaded the StorAhci miniport driver sample from MSDN site, and compiled by VS2013.

I tried to overwrite the inbox StorAhci drive with the package I built (sys, inf, and cat files), although the process was successfully

done, but the Events log showed "Device not started" and it re-installed the inbox one.

If I hooked up a drive under this AHCI port, Windows would become BSOD, and I need to restore the system otherwise it couldn't

boot up anymore.

My system is Win8.1-x64, any idea what might go wrong?

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:21 AM

Answers

• It appears that your installation was not as successful as you thought.

First, you need to look at \Windows\INF\Setupapi.dev.log and at the end of the file should be where it installed your driver. Look at lines that have an exclamation ("!") in the first column; those are warnings, and three exclamations are errors.

You should be able uninstall the driver using DevCon (WDK tool), or Device Manager. If you cannot boot, then attach a debugger and use the ".kdfiles" command to have the debugger supply the original Microsoft driver (you kept a copy, right?). If your system is bootable, then try the System File Checker (SFC) and use the ScanNow flag.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:14 PM

All replies

• It appears that your installation was not as successful as you thought.

First, you need to look at \Windows\INF\Setupapi.dev.log and at the end of the file should be where it installed your driver. Look at lines that have an exclamation ("!") in the first column; those are warnings, and three exclamations are errors.

You should be able uninstall the driver using DevCon (WDK tool), or Device Manager. If you cannot boot, then attach a debugger and use the ".kdfiles" command to have the debugger supply the original Microsoft driver (you kept a copy, right?). If your system is bootable, then try the System File Checker (SFC) and use the ScanNow flag.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Hi, Brian:

Thanks for your advice.

I modified my inf file and updated the driver again via DevCon. Now the device's Event log showed 3 lists:

1. Device configured (oem36.inf)
    2. Device not started (testStorAhci): Device PCI ..... had a problem starting.
    3. Device installed (teststorahci.inf): Driver Management concluded the process to install driver teststorahci.inf_amd64 ..... with the following status: 0x0.

I also checked "setupapi.dev.log", there was no error or warning in the driver update process, but I don't think my driver was working. I attached a SATA drive under this AHCI port, Windows was BSOD again.

Any further suggestion?

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Post the output of !analyze -v from the debugger

-Brian

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 6:30 PM