none
Target .net 3.5 sp1 in Visual Studio 2013

Question

• As known, Applications can be built by targeting to different framework versions such as 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 or etc.. from VS 2010 on wards but a question is, is there a way to choose 3.5 sp1 specifically? or targeting 3.5 is equivalent to 3.5 SP1?

Thank you Forum in advance.

Anand K Reddy
    akx++ Solutions

Saturday, October 29, 2016 4:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Anand K Reddy,

According to your description, if you have installed .NET 3.5 in your machine, VS could target 3.5 as target platform. And if you update 3.5 to 3.5 SP1, the 3.5 will be covered. But in VS the target platform is also 3.5 and actually the .NET 3.5 in VS is become .NET 3.5 SP1.

I think, If you have update the .NET3.5 to .NET 3.5 SP1 in your machine, then the .NET 3.5 target platform in VS is equal .NET 3.5 SP1.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Anand K Reddy Monday, October 31, 2016 2:31 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 7:10 AM

All replies

• Systems that have .Net Framework 3.5 on them should have updated already to sp1. If they did not and you develop on a system that has sp1 installed and use something that sp1 offers and try to use that on a system that is not updated to sp1 or that does not have a .Net Framework multi-targeting pack that includes .Net 3.5  I believe then it will not work. See "Details" at link (blue letters sp1).

In fact from XP to Win7 systems should already have updated to service packs necessary to use full .Net Framework 4.0 but people being people doesn't mean they keep up with such things.

However systems such as Window 8 and up do not necessarily use that Framework automatically I believe as Control Panel can be used apparently to make them use it although maybe it has to be downloaded and installed also or maybe that is wrong. Below is an image from a Google search displayed in I.E. about that issue which you should search about to get accurate information.

And programming with Visual Studio 2010 or 2013 is unecessary when Visual Studio 2015 Community is available unless you need something the pro or enterprise editions have or you are not considered a small entity. However if you install VS 2015 Community I would recommend you download the ISO, copy it to a DVD of appropriate size so you can install it from the DVD and first create a restore point on the system it is to be installed on in case anything bad occurs during or after the install so you can restore the system back to the restore point. If you have a system that is capable of installing it on.

Also I see from your link a question "What are the differences between Windows 95 and Windows NT?" which is like wondering about antiques. Does anybody really care? The answer should be "Who knows? Nobody has used either in at least a decade!".

La vida loca

Saturday, October 29, 2016 5:02 AM
  • Hi Anand K Reddy,

According to your description, if you have installed .NET 3.5 in your machine, VS could target 3.5 as target platform. And if you update 3.5 to 3.5 SP1, the 3.5 will be covered. But in VS the target platform is also 3.5 and actually the .NET 3.5 in VS is become .NET 3.5 SP1.

I think, If you have update the .NET3.5 to .NET 3.5 SP1 in your machine, then the .NET 3.5 target platform in VS is equal .NET 3.5 SP1.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Anand K Reddy Monday, October 31, 2016 2:31 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 7:10 AM
  • Thank you Oscar and that cleared a lot of air.

Anand K Reddy <br/> <a href="http://akxppsolutions.blogspot.com">akx&#43;&#43; Solutions</a><br/>

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:55 PM

• Also I see from your link a question "What are the differences between Windows 95 and Windows NT?" which is like wondering about antiques. Does anybody really care? The answer should be "Who knows? Nobody has used either in at least a decade!".

La vida loca

@La vida loca, Thank you for taking your time in looking at my blog. You are right but I do really care whether somebody cares or not and I, in fact, captured it almost a decade back way in 2009 and was laid on my other site and brought it back to blog for two reasons 1) I just wanted it to be as a lead for discussing more about process and threads further as multi processor support began from NT. and 2) Wanted it to be in one place under faqs for my own future reference.

Anand K Reddy <br/> <a href="http://akxppsolutions.blogspot.com">akx&#43;&#43; Solutions</a><br/>

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:01 PM