none
How to identify the system booted to WES 8.1 successful RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All, 

Greetings!

I am working on BIOS development. 

Trying to develop Watchdog Timer feature on BIOS firmware. 

Our problem statement:-

BIOS trigger the WDT counter and once booted to OS environment, BIOS has to stop the counter and disable the WDT time.

But in my case, we can trigger the timer and we have no control to stop the timer after booting to OS. 

So, Once the timer expires system is restart and BIOS have no control over it. 

Is there any specific method that BIOS can identify the successful OS BOOT. If any ACPI methods or registers that BIOS can identify the successful Boot?

If there is any case, BIOS will stop the timer after OS booted successfully. 

Please guide us how to proceed.

We are using WES7, and WES8.1 OS.

Thanks & Regards,

Ram

Thursday, August 10, 2017 5:46 AM

All replies

• My thought is that you would have to create a Windows device driver / API for your WDT, so that a you create a custom services with the API that calls down to the WDT.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:49 PM
  • Hi Sean Liming,

You mean to create an windows application to access the WDT device and stop the counter using the application?

Thanks,

Ram

Saturday, August 26, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Correct, but also need a driver that that application talks too. the driver interacts with the WDT.

Does the hardware come with a device driver for the WDT?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Saturday, August 26, 2017 2:05 PM