Using Macro Templates created in Word 2003 in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I work for an organization that is making the transition between Windows XP/Office 2003 to Windows 7/Office 2010 over the next year, and I have a fairly complex Word macro stored in a template. While testing the macro in the new environment, no major issues occurred within the code itself.

So, here's my problem...the macro sits on a drive that everyone can access and is accessed through Windows Start Menu, which we would like to continue to do. With Windows 7/Office 2010 when I attempt to use the template macro from Windows Explorer, it opens the actual template instead of creating a new document like it did in previous versions. Is there a way to force Word to recognize that it is a template and create a new document from outside of Word?

Whatever solution I use must be downward compatible as I will have many users still on Windows XP/Office 2003 and no, I can't force everyone to transition at the same time as we have approx 45000 employees across the country.

What every suggestions you may have would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jill

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the input...turns out I was trying to run it from Windows Explorer XP instead of the one for Windows 7...don't ask!

Thanks,

Jill

Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:40 PM

All replies