none
TcpClient newbie question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm new to network programming and I have what I think is a straightforward question: can a .NET application which functions as a client and uses the TcpClient class in a bidirectional client/server scenario communicate with a non-.NET server application that is also communicating via TCP/IP? Or must the server be using the TcpListener class if the client is using the TcpClient class in order to communicate with it? Thanks in advance.

-L

Friday, February 10, 2017 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hi LKeene,

>> can a .NET application which functions as a client and uses the TcpClient class in a bidirectional client/server scenario communicate with a non-.NET server application that is also communicating via TCP/IP?

Yes, it could. TcpClient class is a library which is used to send message to the remote host by using host name and port number. You could try any method which could listen the port number in the host Server.

>> Network programming novice, need advice for distributed application

For this previous thread, have your issue been resolved? If it has, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer, if not, please feel free to keep following.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by LKeene Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:10 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 2:23 AM