MS Project 2007 PWA Resoure Assignment View not showing all tasks RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MS Project 2007, SP3. 

The Resource Assignment view in PWA is not showing all of the actual work for resources when compared to the Resource Usage view in Project Server.  This is happening for all resources. For example, The Resource Assignment view will say the resource only worked one hour for the week, and the Resource Usage view shows correctly at 37.5 hours.

The tasks show in the left hand column, but there is no work showing in the columns to the right.

Thank you so much for your help with this!

Stacey Shearn

Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:37 PM

Answers

• I think we have a winner!

I have a master project, with a lot of sub projects.  If I open the subprojects that are suspect, and publish them separately, instead of publishing the master project, the times show up in the Resource Assignment View in PWA. 

Do you know why I can't just publish the master project?

Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Stacey,

Can you share a screenshot about "left hand column"? It will be easier for us to figure out the issue.

Then a few checks to do in MS Project Pro:

• Are the missong assignments published (column "publish" to YES)?
    • Is the booking type to committed value (insert "booking type" column) for the missing assignments?
    • Is the project correctly published (check the job in the queue to be sure)?

Finally a silly question, sorry for asking : are you looking the same time period in MS Project and PWA resource assignment view? Don't forget that after specifying the time frame in the PWA resource assignment view, you need to click on the "apply" button in order to refresh the view with the new timeframe (at least in PWA2010 and 2013, but I guess it was the same in 2007).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:44 PM

• Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:58 PM

• Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  I have attached screen shots and to answer your questions:

1. All tasks say Published "Yes"

2. Booking Type for all resources is committed (I added it to the wrong view)

3. The projects are published correctly, nothing is left in the queue.

4. The dates are correct (Any question is great, if it helps solve this!)

Thank you!

Stacey

Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Indeed you have a discrepency.

Did you checked my points above?

Aother check to do: check that the missing assignments are not done on local resources (versus enterprise resources).

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:07 PM
  • It seems like we cross-posted our answers :-)

Is there a chance that you have a filter in the resource assignment view in PWA?

Are the actuals coming from the task updates approval or entered directly in the project plan?

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:12 PM
  • The Filter says "All Assignments".

The actuals are coming from task update approvals (automatic approval is set).

Thanks for all the ideas!

Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Can you spot the project that are not showing up in PWA? If it is all same projects for all missing resources assignments, they might be corrupted.

Then I would query the publish and draft database to detect an potential sync issue between the 2 databases. Have you recently performed any operation/maintenance on your DB, such as SP, CU, restore, refresh...

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:23 PM
  • I think you are onto something!  They do seem to be the same projects that are not showing for all resources.  We have projects for resources to report admin, production support, etc. time.  And they are the projects that are not showing.  I'm not sure what is different about them...anything you can think of to check?

Also, I'm not sure how to check about any potential sync issues. We may have moved or updated the server MS Project is located on.  I will check.

Thank you!

Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Good that we narrow down the problem!

You could try to unpublish the assignments in the culprit projects setting the column "published" to no, publish the project, set the value to "yes" and publish again.

Another thing I'm thinking to: support projects usually contain long tasks, at least for 1 year. Is it your case? MS recommands not to have large assignments but to split them. For example, instead of having a 1-year task "support", you might split it into 4 quarter support tasks.

You could also check in the ULS log if you had any warning or errors on those specific projects.

The projects might be corrupted. Saving the project locally as XML files and saving them back on the server as MPP file usually solves a lot of issues, but in this case the project UID changes so you'll loose the relation by the task updates. It has to be tested in a test environment first.

http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:05 PM
  • I think we have a winner!

I have a master project, with a lot of sub projects.  If I open the subprojects that are suspect, and publish them separately, instead of publishing the master project, the times show up in the Resource Assignment View in PWA. 

Do you know why I can't just publish the master project?

Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Normally you should be able to publish the master project. Project should prompt you weither or not you want to publish all subprojects. It might be that your master project is corrupted.

Anyway glad that we finally found the culprit.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Thank you so much for your help Guillaume!  I could not have figured this out without you!

Stacey Shearn

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:42 PM