none
how to prevent other addin snooping my addin data RRS feed

• Question

• hi

i have a outlook2010 addin program. in it i uses outlook to send the email with some commercial data. i don't want this data to be snoop by other addins. because i use the outlook value (To,CC,subject,email body). how can i protect this value from snooping by other addins

thank you

Monday, July 30, 2012 2:36 PM

Answers

• To put it simply, you can't. You would need to use a specially locked down version of Outlook that had no other addins installed, even the default ones from MS.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "John83 Zheng" <=?utf-8?B?Sm9objgzIFpoZW5n?=> wrote in message news:1c8f781b-b452-4879-b72e-f1f678880f51...

thank you for answering

actually i will encrypt the email. but how can i protect it before the email is encrypted and sent out. because i use outlook email body to compose email, i am afraid other addins could snoop what user type in the content before it is encrypted. is there any solution?

thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, July 30, 2012 4:03 PM
  • You misunderstand. There's no special version, you would make sure the Outlook that was being used had no addins of any kind installed. If you couldn't do that you couldn't prevent other addins from doing whatever they wanted.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "John83 Zheng" <=?utf-8?B?Sm9objgzIFpoZW5n?=> wrote in message news:0e03cada-b2b3-4541-859f-08b93548a4b2...
    how can i find that version? should i order from microsoft?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, July 30, 2012 5:25 PM

All replies

• you can disable other add-ins (if you have sufficient rights). But generally - you are just one of many 'extensions' to outlook, you have to play nice with others. If you are concerned about sensitive data inside email - encrypt it or use EWS to post mail directly to exchange. If , on the other hand, you do not want other plugins to modify mail fields then i guess you will have to live with it (or again use EWS to avoid any interference with sending action).
    Monday, July 30, 2012 2:59 PM
  • thank you for answering

actually i will encrypt the email. but how can i protect it before the email is encrypted and sent out. because i use outlook email body to compose email, i am afraid other addins could snoop what user type in the content before it is encrypted. is there any solution?

thanks

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:27 PM
  • To put it simply, you can't. You would need to use a specially locked down version of Outlook that had no other addins installed, even the default ones from MS.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "John83 Zheng" <=?utf-8?B?Sm9objgzIFpoZW5n?=> wrote in message news:1c8f781b-b452-4879-b72e-f1f678880f51...

thank you for answering

thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, July 30, 2012 4:03 PM
  • how can i find that version? should i order from microsoft?
    Monday, July 30, 2012 4:39 PM
  • You misunderstand. There's no special version, you would make sure the Outlook that was being used had no addins of any kind installed. If you couldn't do that you couldn't prevent other addins from doing whatever they wanted.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "John83 Zheng" <=?utf-8?B?Sm9objgzIFpoZW5n?=> wrote in message news:0e03cada-b2b3-4541-859f-08b93548a4b2...
    how can i find that version? should i order from microsoft?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, July 30, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Consider using EWS to achieve this goal.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:25 AM