WMI SNMP query -("PROVIDER NOT FOUND") RRS feed

• Question

• I have the WMI SNMP provider installed on XP W/SP2.  I encounter a "Provider
    not found" exception when I attempt to access the managed object in the
    foreach statements below.

while trying the code given below i am getting an error "PROVIDER NOT FOUND" .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

///sample code /// 

System.Management.ManagementScope ms = new
    System.Management.ManagementScope("\\\\.\\root\\snmp\\smir");     
    System.Management.ObjectQuery oq = new System.Management.ObjectQuery("SELECT
    * FROM SNMP_RFC1213_MIB_system");
    ManagementObjectSearcher query1 = new ManagementObjectSearcher(ms,oq);
    ManagementObjectCollection queryCollection1 = query1.Get();           
    foreach( ManagementObject mo in queryCollection1 )
    {
    Console.WriteLine("Name : " + mo["sysContact"].ToString());
    }

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to solve the error by recompiling the mof files but its not working .I even tried the WMI diagnonsis tool for finding the root cause of the problem where i checked the namespace "ROOT\SNMP\SMIR" .There i got following warning:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: WMI provider CIM registrations missing for the following provider(s): ..

MOF Registration: 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\SNMPREG.MOF'
    - ROOT/SNMP/SMIR, MS_SNMP_INSTANCE_PROVIDER (i.e. WMI Class 'SNMP_RFC1213_MIB_system')

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even i rebuilt WMI repository but it is still not working. Can anyone tell me how to solve that error "PROVIDER NOT FOUND" and how to run that code without exception?. What i need to do for solving this warning ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, May 2, 2008 6:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Here is the solution for you at 'WMI Questions' part

http://blogs.msdn.com/wmi/archive/2006/05/12/596266.aspx

Friday, May 2, 2008 11:56 AM
  •  Not sure if you have found your answer. you should change to the following and this will clear your error provided you have successfully loaded the needed MIB.

root\snmp\localhost - Will give correct results

root\snmp\smir - will give you this error

you can verify that the MIB is correctly loaded by doing the following from the command prompt:

smi2smir /l

this will give you a list of all your loaded mib's

• Proposed as answer by colmite Monday, January 5, 2009 2:35 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Hello.

I got the same problem, it's strange.
    I understood that we cannot call the SMIR namespace as it is just used to store the SNMP templates.

However, when i connect to the "root\snmp\localhost" namespace, in the SNMP Macro i only see the RFC1213_MIB objects and none of the one i previously loaded !

I can see them in "root\snmp\smir", they are dozens like "SNMP_Laserjet_Series4000_mib_prtalertentry", etc, etc.
    But none in the localhost namespace.

I even did a "mofcomp -N:\root\snmp\localhost Laserjet.mof" to force the compilation into the specified namespace but no class are shown, isn't it strange ?

So the problem is that whenever i load my script, i encounter a "invalid class error".

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:21 AM
  • Hey Budykiller,

I know its been a while. But did you manage to solve this problem that you mentioned above? because i have the EXACT SAME problem and donno what to do with it!!!!! Please help me out on this one.

Thanks in advance,

AJ

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Go to Properties of SNMP Windows Service.

On security tab - check if the required community name is added

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:11 AM