none
Add visual separators for Project Detail Pages RRS feed

• Question

• We have a myriad of Enterprise Custom Fields that lie on the Project Detail page under the "Details" section. We are trying to get a more organized page by adding headers to set apart certain fields. To illustrate:

Right now: 

Details:    

Field 1: ...

Field 2: ....

Field 3: ....

Field 4: ....

What we want: 

Details: 

Financials----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Field 1: ....

Field 2: ....

Creative------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Field 3: ....

Field 4: ....

Miscelleneous-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Field 5: ....

Field 6: ....

You get the point. 

How can we accomplish this effect?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

sorry, I am not aware of any solution for that. But have you thought about separate Project Detail Pages by "area"? One for Financials, one for Creative, ... So the user woul not see all fields on one page, but switch between PDPs.

A possible approach?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:11 PM
  • The best I can manage without writing javascript is to insert this CSS snippet. It at least gives you some visual distinction on the page by changing the background for every other row.

To implement, Edit the PDP page, insert a script editor web part. Click edit snippet and paste in the following.

<style>
    tr[id^="ctl00"]:nth-of-type(odd) {
        background-color: LightGray;
    }
    </style>

With jquery and some javascript, you could format based on content. There are several examples found via search but I've not tried any of them.

Treb Gatte | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

This happens all the time, and the simplest approach you can go for is to Add multiple Basic Info web-parts on the same page and use Title of webpart to define section heading such s Finance or Creative etc.

You can use each Basic info web-part for similar set of custom fields to insert on PDP, and Title of web-part helps you define heading of that section.

Please see screen shot below of a similar output achieved using above technique:

Refer to this blog post if you need to organize web parts on the page to look more sophisticated :)

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:48 AM
  • Khurram,

There's a known issue where if you insert multiple webparts that include multi-line text fields, you can run into a situation where values beyond the first webpart with changes doesn't save. There's supposed to be a fix for this but if the instance isn't patched, the fix you suggest will lead to other problems.

I prefer the multiple web part approach but there is a caveat. Implementer be aware.

Friday, June 19, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Hi Treb, I have seen this scenario in PS2010, but havent come across in PS2013 so far. Perhaps, if possible, you can mention that particular CU for others reference.

Also i can safely assure that PS2013 with SP1, this issue will not occur.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Saturday, June 20, 2015 1:43 PM
  • I'll ask Brian Smith and I'll let you know.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:14 AM