none
Anyone tested Expression Web 4 with Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know its quite early to ask if Expression Web 4.0 will work on Windows 10, but if anyone of you great people out there have tried it, then I would love to hear your insights.

I will eventually update from win 8.1 to Win 10 and woul hate to not be able to use Expression web

Monday, February 2, 2015 7:32 PM

All replies

• I've used it on all builds prior to the current 9926 without an issue. Haven't had time to test it on a clean install of 9926 as I'm currently testing it on a Surface and EW is awkward to use in 10" device in touch mode. 
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:13 AM
  • I've been using it on Build 9926 for about 10 days and haven't had any issues at all. 

~ Kathleen Anderson Spider Web Woman Designs http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/expression.htm Expression Web Resources

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Thank you both!

Wonderful news.

I have been thinking of switching websoftware fearing it wouldnt work. But now it doesnt seem to be any issues. I´ve even tested Coffeecup HTML editor, which is a drag without a design preview function. Otherwise I cant withold liking any software, when it has the words Coffee cup in it ;-)

Expression web it will continue to be though as it seems. Thanks!

The illustrator

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:35 AM
  • Thank you. Makes me happy to know

The illustrator

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:43 AM
  • I am thinking of trying... only, I am wondering how best to setup the system.

Expression Web is lovely ware. But the machine gets kind of complex.

Seating Windows 8, my 8 cores were 4 for the first 2 months and no system installation lasted longer than 10 minutes. Adobe is still a pain in the butt. It is my understanding, reading reviews in Technet, and scouts in PC Mag et al, that Windows 10 is much more sane. Expression Web is the weather vane, in a lot of ways. If I have a bunch of stuff to try out, up goes Windows and then Expression Web, and nothing else seems to find time to join us. Sublime is the counterweight. If Sublime and Expression Web both do well, she's happy. Anyway...

If we do 10, then 8 and 10 each get a 122 GB for the dual boot. Data and backups use 248 and 496, respectively. Otherwise, cruise for a year or two and hope into 11 with an X99 implementation.

QUESTION: Which drive order for 10 and 8, which one should be disk 0? This order could be critical for Expression and other applications.

2014 WEB DESIGN... HTML5/CSS3... DOM not development

Friday, February 6, 2015 7:58 AM
  • Keeps "not responding" on my Windows 10-
    Friday, July 31, 2015 11:15 AM
  • EW works fine on Win 10.   If it keeps "not responding", something is wrong with your setup/system/hardware/etc.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 3:28 PM
  • WOW,

If you have questions on Win 10 setup, this is not the forum to ask in.

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:30 PM
  • It works for me on Windows 10 (release) but I have to go to the directory where the program is located to run it. It won't pin to the Start menu, nor can you drop it there, nor does it show up in Recently Used menu.

Dave Waddell Houston, TX USA

Monday, August 3, 2015 12:06 PM
  • Out of curiosity, can you drag and drop (or otherwise) create a desktop shortcut? (Win10 does have a desktop, right? I mean, surely MS learned their lesson with Win8...)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Dave,

You may simply not be "up" on how to use Win 10.

EW can certainly be in the taskbar (I have it there), and in fact if it was there before you upgraded, it will be there when you are done upgrading.

The start menu in Win 10 is different. (You might want to read up on Win 10 a bit.)

Click All Apps in the start menu, scroll down and find Microsoft Expression Web in the list, right-click that and select "Pin to Start", and it will show as a tile in your Start menu.

Monday, August 3, 2015 5:23 PM
  • "(Win10 does have a desktop, right? I mean, surely MS learned their lesson with Win8...)"

Yes it does, and that's the default view for a PC (unless you change preferences).

Monday, August 3, 2015 5:36 PM
  • Your tip works. Thank you!
    Friday, August 7, 2015 4:39 PM
  • I loaded Windows 10 when it was pushed out to 8.1 users. I think it is fantastic. Also participated in reviewing the beta version 9926. So far I have had no problems using Expression Web 4 in Windows 10. Seems to be working great. If anyone knows of some good tutorials for Expression Web 4 I would appreciate. It has good help but as far as I can see it offers no tutorials.

Hope this helps.

Bones47

Friday, August 7, 2015 11:05 PM
  • pin the icon to the task bar. that's what I did and works fine.
    Friday, August 7, 2015 11:13 PM
  • Kathleen,

Thanks for posting your Web Site. I went there and there are all kinds

of tutorials. Now I have a chance to look them over.

Thanks again,

Bones47

Friday, August 7, 2015 11:15 PM
  • I just did the Windows 10 upgrade.  Using Expression Web 4.0.1460.  Cannot save edited files. EW gives error -

Server error: The server extensions were unable to access the file "C:\Users...\_vti_pvt\service.lck" Please check the file permissions."

File is wide open and was, in fact, created today and has nothing in it.  I'm dead in the water now with editing.

Sunday, August 9, 2015 5:01 PM
  • That has nothing to do with Expression Web. Read the error message and fix what it says is wrong. If the error message has a number, search the MS Knowledge Base for it.

The error is probably either on the server or a Windows 10 file permission change (for security).

At any rate, it seems as though you are editing live with Front Page Server Extensions, which is never recommended, which MS announced it was dropping support for 9 years ago, and which no server operating system since Windows Server 2008 R2 can support. 

If you are using FPSEs, stop right now and make a local copy of your site by publishing down with FTP and then edit locally and publish the changes with FTP. You're going to have to sooner or later anyway. EW's Help files has the details.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Sunday, August 9, 2015 9:36 PM
  • Hi,

I've tried Expression Web 4 with Windows 10, just now.  It is working fine.  No issue.  Some CSS Styles will look different from Dreamweaver, but in Browser it will work as it should be.

Microsoft should give update with Bootstrap and other technologies as CSS 2.1 is showing.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:05 AM
  • Since you apparently (well... clearly) didn't get the memo, MS has stopped development on Expression Studio, including Expression Web, so there aren't going to be any more "updates." That said, EW4 already offers full support for HTML 5 and CSS 3, except for expression in design view, which is just fine, since you should always test in each of the major browsers anyway, using "Preview in Browser."

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Yep works beautifully on my clean install of Win10 Pro and have been running it on the previews without issue...

Cheers

Monday, August 17, 2015 2:55 PM
  • I loaded Windows 10 and then reverted to Windows 7, due to other issues.  Now I am getting the same error message as above and am unable to edit my websites.  Any ideas?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 11:58 PM
  • What error message are you getting?   "As above" does not tell us which post, in this long thread, you are talking about.  Quote the error message,
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:20 AM
  • Having upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 all was fine for about 10 days then Expression 4 ceased to work and would not re-install.  Then photo editor failed so I reverted to 7 after which the computer functioned at the rate of a geriatric snail.
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Photo editor failing? Operating like a snail after reverting to Win 7? Clearly your issue is not EW-specific, but something to do with your computer itself: hardware, drivers, OS corruption, malware, ......  Find a Windows operating system forum and ask for help.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:33 PM