Windows Mobile 6.5 usb/serial port RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to develop a Visual Studio application for a Windows Mobile 6.5 device that can get data, trought the USB port, from a micro controller.

The micro controller will have some sensors connected and I want to be able to visualize all the data in my device.

Is this possible?

If yes, how?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:19 PM

Answers

• If your uC has USB master (not likely but possible) and you implement all the protocols correctly then your uC would have the same control over connected phone as desktop running WMDC. Due to high complexity it is rather hypothetical.

I would suggest looking into more realistic scenarios such as using Bluetooth with BT to serial port adapter connected to uC.

For example: http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Bluetooth-Wireless-Technology-GBS301/dp/B000CPMBO6

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:04 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:10 PM

All replies

• Generally it is not possible as most devices don't have USB master interface and and few devices which do (mostly obsolete PDAs from few years ago) probably have no drivers for your micro controller.

Just to clarify: USB is asymmetrical and comes in master (found on PC for example) and client (found on most USB preferential such as keyboards, mice and phones) variations. Only master to client connection is possible, you can't connect master to master (e.g. PC to PC) directly and you can't connected client to client (e.g. keyboard to mice).

Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:25 PM
  •  

Hi,

I'm very interested in hearing more about your issue, did you solve your problem?

If so please share the solution with us and mark the right answers.

If not please let me know and I will tray to help you find further solutions.

Have a nice day!

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:32 AM
  • @Ilya

But what if I set my microC do be the master and the phone as client?

Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:56 AM
  • If your uC has USB master (not likely but possible) and you implement all the protocols correctly then your uC would have the same control over connected phone as desktop running WMDC. Due to high complexity it is rather hypothetical.

I would suggest looking into more realistic scenarios such as using Bluetooth with BT to serial port adapter connected to uC.

For example: http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Bluetooth-Wireless-Technology-GBS301/dp/B000CPMBO6

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:04 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:10 PM