State machine - changing states too fast? RRS feed

• Question

• InfoPath Forms Services, SharePoint 2007, Visual Studio 2008 workflow

I've got a state machine workflow that's failing intermittently.

The defined process was that one user would open the form, fill out some information, then save it - this initiated the workflow, created an alert, and sent an email. Form initiation is State 1, then transfers the workflow to State2.  Then another user would open the form, fill out some info, and submit it, which transfers the workflow to State3.

In testing, users fill out the form, click the Save button, then immediately click the Submit button, and it looks like the workflow never transitions from State2 to State3.

I'm thinking that the submit hits SharePoint while it's still initiating the workflow, so the workflow never receives the event indicating to transition to State3. Does this make sense? If so, any ideas other than just putting a delay on the first button for a few seconds?

Thanks!

Philo

Philo Janus, MCP Author: Pro InfoPath 2007 Pro PerformancePoint 2007 Pro SQL Server Analysis Services 2008 Building Integrated Business Intelligence Solutions with SQL Server 2008 R2 & Office 2010 Blog @ http://philo.typepad.com/with-all-due-respect/
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I suggest that you should check whether your workflows are all active. For example, Collect Signatures Workflow and Disposition Approval Workflow.

In addition, inefficient user of document management features is also a factor. Inefficiencies can be introduced that waste employee time, increase organizational costs, and duplicate efforts. It affects that workflow for: Approval policy, Retention policy and Archival policy.

At last, this issue you mentioned cause by some secure information uncertainly.

Please have a try.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:31 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 1:31 AM