Sorting hierachies and entities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a way to sort members in hierarchies and/or entities?

From what I've seen in the product help you can't with derived hierachies. I assume thats because they're derived from entities.

But when I look in the entities it would appear to me that the sorting is done on the Code attribute, which I understand to be reserved from Product SKUs etc. Surely the product must have custom sorting capability? For us we want the users to be able to control the sorting in our structures - is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks

John

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

You're right that derived hierarchies currently don't allow the user or administrator to define the sort order of peers below a parent node for display in the Master Data Manager UI.  However, subscribing systems that refresh their hierarchies from MDS can certainly apply their own sorting based on some data value that is maintained in MDS.  For example, I could create an attribute called "Sort Order" where users maintain a ranking of peers within the hierarchy and then extract this as a part of an update process for a subscribing system which orders the hierarchy elements (i.e. the downstream application displays the members in the desired order even though MDS does not).

• Proposed as answer by Val Lovicz Friday, July 23, 2010 9:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Denise Miles Friday, July 30, 2010 7:18 PM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 9:29 PM