locked
Failed app certification due to crashing exception I can't reproduce

    Question

  • Hi,

    I have an app that is failing certification due to a crash that I can't reproduce. How can I diagnose the problem?

    The app passes WACK, but fails app certification. The failed app submission includes a WER file that shows combase.dll is throwing an 'operation is unsupported' exception (0x88982F81). There is no stack, so I'm not sure how my code is misusing combase.

    Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the problem on the computers I have access to.

    Any suggestions on how to diagnose a crash that I can't reproduce? Or perhaps do you know how I might get a dump from the tester? (I've tried requesting a dump in the 'Notes to Tester' section, but just received the same WER file back).

    === From the failed certification & WER file:

    "Unfortunately, when our reviewers tried to launch your app failed to launch every time. Our reviewers were unable to complete a review. If we were able to capture a crash report, we have provided it to you. At this time, we do not have any other information to share with you. Please see: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=279806 for information on how to work with the crash reports."

    combase.dll threw 'The operation is unsupported' (0x88982f81)

    Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Name
    Sig[4].Value=combase.dll
    Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Version
    Sig[5].Value=6.3.9600.16476
    Sig[6].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
    Sig[6].Value=52944cd2
    Sig[7].Name=Exception Code
    Sig[7].Value=88982f81
    Sig[8].Name=Exception Offset
    Sig[8].Value=00082193

    Friday, February 21, 2014 5:59 PM

Answers

  • You will have to open a support case with the publishing team and work with them to try to understand where the error is coming from.

    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

    NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

    • Marked as answer by Tristan2 Friday, February 21, 2014 10:15 PM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 8:50 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • This may or may not help -- but when this happened to my app, it was with a component that worked in the debugger, but not when installed.

    The failing API was the Clipboard APIs; there's a race condition where the app is starting, but when the clipboard goes to get data, the app "isn't in the foreground" and consequently the app isn't allowed to access the clipboard. 

    My solution is twofold:

    1. I put the clipboard calls in a try/catch

    2. I also add in a pause, hoping that it lets me get the clipboard.

    Friday, February 21, 2014 8:34 PM
  • You will have to open a support case with the publishing team and work with them to try to understand where the error is coming from.

    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

    NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

    • Marked as answer by Tristan2 Friday, February 21, 2014 10:15 PM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 8:50 PM
    Moderator