none
Could I make a usb device as an ambient light sensor device on windows 7 without any UMDF driver? RRS feed

• Question

• My question is:

1. Could I make an usb device to fit the ACPI 3.0b spec?

2. If so, Could I use the ALS in-box driver for it, such that I can use the device as an ambient light sensor device without any other drivers?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hi

The inbox ALS driver triggers off of specific ALS control methods in ACPI. Since this is embedded in the ACPI BIOS, I'm not sure how can "fit" a USB device to match it. Having said that, if this USB device exposes the ambient light data in a ACPI-compliant way, then yes there are no other drivers required.

Now, you could just write a UMDF Sensor driver that exposes the Sensor data to the platform. The Windows 7 WDK has a good section on Sensor Drivers to get you started.

Just curious: What kind of device is this ?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi

The inbox ALS driver triggers off of specific ALS control methods in ACPI. Since this is embedded in the ACPI BIOS, I'm not sure how can "fit" a USB device to match it. Having said that, if this USB device exposes the ambient light data in a ACPI-compliant way, then yes there are no other drivers required.

Now, you could just write a UMDF Sensor driver that exposes the Sensor data to the platform. The Windows 7 WDK has a good section on Sensor Drivers to get you started.

Just curious: What kind of device is this ?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It's just a common light sensor device connect through USB.

I just wonder to know if there is any possibility to make an USB device to be an ACPI device (cheat or some non-regular way), such that I can skip the UMDF driver development.

Thank you again~ :D

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:50 AM
  • chien i am interested in this product

are u developing

i want a usb based solution for my laptop that senses the light in my enviornement and adjusts my screen's birghtness

much like and android phone and iphone

Friday, January 28, 2011 1:57 AM