Visual Studio Debugger takes me to Azure Web App Reply URL listed in App registration after authentication RRS feed

• Question

• User-1397340880 posted

Hello,

I've created a new Azure Web App using single domain authentication (Office 365 tenancy)  and have published it.  However, when I try to debug a page the browser routes to the production web address after authentication and not the local host for debugging.

If I remove the App registration Reply URL production URL I can debug my page but the published site becomes unreachable.

Is there some way to distinguish between the production site and the local host for debugging purposes?

Thanks in advance...Jarod

Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:18 PM

All replies

• User283571144 posted

Hi Jarod.Pearcy,

Is there some way to distinguish between the production site and the local host for debugging purposes?

As far as I know, if you have enable the VS remote debug for azure web app.

The VS will catch the azure web app's thread to remote debug the azure web app application(production env).

It will also fired the breakpoint which set in the local VS.

Could you please tell me which debug mode you have used? VS remote debug or VS localside debug?

More details about how to use azure web app remote debug, you could refer to below article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/web-sites-dotnet-troubleshoot-visual-studio 

Best Regards,

Brando

Friday, August 31, 2018 5:24 AM
  • User-1397340880 posted

Brando ZWZ

Could you please tell me which debug mode you have used? VS remote debug or VS localside debug?

Essentially this is my question.  How do I force VS localhost debugging?  In the past VS defaulted to localhost debugging and it's not been an issue.  However, that was when publishing to an IIS server and not a Azure Web App.

Thanks for your response.

Friday, August 31, 2018 12:44 PM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi Jarod.Pearcy,

Jarod.Pearcy

Essentially this is my question.  How do I force VS localhost debugging?  In the past VS defaulted to localhost debugging and it's not been an issue.  However, that was when publishing to an IIS server and not a Azure Web App.

According to your description, I still couldn't understand your issue clearly.

As far as I know, if you want to debug local application not azure application, you could directly set the startup project and use F5 run it. 

If you want to debug azure web application, you should attach the process. 

These are two different debug way.

Both of them will fire the breakpoint inside VS.

About how to remote debug for azure web app:

Best Regards,

Brando

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 5:17 AM
  • User-1397340880 posted

So you're saying there is no way to run/test/debug Web App code in the local host VS environment and then publish the working version to Azure.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:17 PM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi Jarod.Pearcy,

According to your description, I couldn't understand your issue now.

Could you please tell me what is your requirement?

Do you want to debug the web application in the local-side not on the azure? or you want to debug the web application which host in local iis?

Best Regards,

Brando

Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:01 AM
  • User-1397340880 posted

I want to debug locally and then publish working code to Azure.

I have found a work around that allows me to develop & debug locally and then publish the web app to azure.

Friday, September 7, 2018 6:19 PM