SSRS - Dataset row limit??? RRS feed

• Question

• Background

• SQL Server 2017
    • Dataset retrieving 384,415 rows directly from a single table (select * from sourceTable)
    • Using SSDT for Visual Studio 2017
    • Database + SSRS Report server ran locally on my test PC
    • PC has 8G RAM

Problem

Error "System.OutOfMemoryException" when previewing report in SSDT for VS2017

Questions

1. What is the dataset row limit in SSRS?

2. Other possible solutions to display this amount of data in SSRS?

Thanks

Thursday, August 2, 2018 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi EsperanzaGrace,

Did this issue only occur in SSDT? Did it display well in report server? If it just occur in SSDT, I suggest you could post this issue on ssdt forum

If it occur on both conditions, you could try to optimize query and report to check whether it works or not. And  try to increase storage size(physical space) to check this issue.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 6, 2018 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hi EsperanzaGrace,

There is no row limit in SSRS, but there will be memory issue. You could try to stop other application process to see whether it works or not. In addition, you also could try to modify memory setting for report server. You could refer to Configure Available Memory for Report Server Application and System.OutOfMemoryException" error message when you use SQL Server Reporting Services for details.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 3, 2018 2:19 AM
  • Hi Zoe

Thanks, I'll try that and report back

Friday, August 3, 2018 2:49 AM
  • Hi Zoe Zhi

I did the below modifications as recommended in the links but I still have "System.OutOfMemoryException" error. Here are the steps taken :

1. Modified the rsreportserver.config, setting WorkingSetMaximum = 6Gigs (6291456 Kb) and WorkingSetMinimum = 0.5 Gigs (524288kb)

2. Restarted SSRS Server via Report Server Configuration Manager

3. Reopened SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 and ran the report in "preview" mode

Note, no other applications are running on my local computer except Chrome and Skype. 

Please advice

Monday, August 6, 2018 1:56 AM
  • Hi EsperanzaGrace,

Did this issue only occur in SSDT? Did it display well in report server? If it just occur in SSDT, I suggest you could post this issue on ssdt forum

If it occur on both conditions, you could try to optimize query and report to check whether it works or not. And  try to increase storage size(physical space) to check this issue.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support

Monday, August 6, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hi Zoe

I retested, publishing the report directly to Report Server and the report displayed without any issues.

The issue was with SSDT

Thank you

Monday, August 6, 2018 11:08 PM