none
Simple project server custom fields questions RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am a beginner in project server.

So I have followed questions:

1. In a local MS-Project file, the exist custom fileds e.g. resource.text4. Exist this custom fileds also in the enterprise enviroment?
    2. If so, how can I access in Project Prof. to this enterprise fields e.g. enterprise-resource.text4?

Thank you!

Michael

Friday, July 4, 2014 8:37 PM

All replies

• To report on custom fields across multiple projects in Project Server 2010+, you need to create Enterprise fields in Project Server (using PWA). enterprise-resource.text4 is a hangover from Project Server 2003 and are considered local fields now.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, July 4, 2014 11:16 PM
  • What impact does this have?

I open a project from server in my ms-project pro client and I use in this project an enterprise resource from the server.

Then, in the resource table, I display the column "text4".

This filed "text4" is locked. I can't put any information in this field.

It is possible to fill this filed with information via PWA on project server? And, if I open the project with this resource the next time, this information in "text4" is displayed in ms-project pro?

Thank you!

Michael

Saturday, July 5, 2014 8:01 AM
  • Hi Marcus,

Indeed any enterprise custom fields (resource, task or project type) will be locked in MS Project Pro. They can't be modified by "simple" users, meaning users that are not admin. To update or created enterprise custom fields, you need admin permissions and to go to the PWA server settings.

To edit resource information, you can go through PWA resource center if you have proper rights.

After updating an enterprise custom field setting or value for a resource, you'll need to open Project Pro again in order to retrieve the new data.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Sunday, July 6, 2014 8:22 AM