ALT+F4 leaves an unknown-app

Question

• Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or whether or not it is a known issue. To reproduce the problem -

1) Launch Tube Rider 2) ALT+F4 and the Tube Rider will be closed, leaving an all-green screen. 3) Click on that all-green screen it will back to the Start screen. 4) Click the Start of the system menu. 5) repeat step 4.

You'll see that the screen keep switching between the Start screen and the all-green screen. If you launch another app, that all-green 'app' gone.

Is this a bug? What is that all-green screen belongs to? The app container?

Thanks.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:16 AM

Answers

• I'm thinking of getting an Acer W500 tablet, and for that I will have to go the USB stick route I think.

Success!   The Mounted ISO trick worked after all!  All I had to do differently was right-click Run as Administrator on the Setup.exe file.   Now I get to find out how much customization I had previously done to make W8 P without Tools usable...  ; )

Robert
    ---

Friday, October 28, 2011 11:02 PM

All replies

• Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Marilyn
    Friday, October 28, 2011 2:58 AM
  • 2) ALT+F4 and the Tube Rider will be closed, leaving an all-green screen.

That would be nice.   How do you do that?   FWIW pressing Alt-F4 on a Metro app does nothing for me, even using OSK.exe to make sure that it isn't my hardware.

---

Friday, October 28, 2011 4:17 PM
  • 2) ALT+F4 and the Tube Rider will be closed, leaving an all-green screen.
    That would be nice. How do you do that? FWIW pressing Alt-F4 on a Metro app does nothing for me, even using OSK.exe to make sure that it isn't my hardware.
    Do you have the developer tools installed? I think you need that for Alt+F4 to work in Metro apps.

I do have them, and I see the green screen also.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 28, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Do you have the developer tools installed? I think you need that for Alt+F4 to work in Metro apps.

Thanks, David.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can install  W8 P with Tools.   I think I may have to buy an 8 GB USB stick...   ; )

Robert
    ---

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:27 PM
  • I'm still trying to figure out how I can <install W8 P with Tools http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6500a0dc-16ff-4d56-9710-4e5ef78a717b>. I think I may have to buy an 8 GB USB stick... ; )
    I just bought a 5-pack of dual layer DVD's. About US $15. It worked first time, so I have four left...

But I'm thinking of getting an Acer W500 tablet, and for that I will have to go the USB stick route I think.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:18 PM

• I'm thinking of getting an Acer W500 tablet, and for that I will have to go the USB stick route I think.

Success!   The Mounted ISO trick worked after all!  All I had to do differently was right-click Run as Administrator on the Setup.exe file.   Now I get to find out how much customization I had previously done to make W8 P without Tools usable...  ; )

Robert
    ---

Friday, October 28, 2011 11:02 PM