New Preview (Update 2 CTP4) - performance improvements - SL Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

are there any performance improvements in the silverlight client in the newest update?

Karol Zadora mentioned in a forum post:

We are aware of the fact that the wire data format in LS V2 is significantly more verbose than it is the case of LS V1. Your mileage may vary depending on what is in your data; as an example getting all records from Northwind Customers results in about 4 times more bytes pushed to the client after switching V1 -> V2 (filling a simple list-details screen).

This is not a problem with LS specifically, but more of a problem with OData protocol. The OData team realized that and has recently added an efficient JSON-based format (a.k.a. JSON light) to the OData spec and WCF DS implementation. LS will take advantage of this new format by default in the next LS release. Our internal testing indicates that this should put us back on par with V1 release in terms of the amount of data sent over the wire

Did the LS Team add an efficient Json-base format in this preview?

Is it possible to upgrade an LS 2012 (not Preview 2) project to the newest preview?

Thanks.

Markus

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:38 PM

Answers

• I can confirm that upon upgrade the Silverlight Client and HTML Client will use the JSON format which should provide some performance improvements. Upgrade is required.

Hessc: The issue that you are seeing with the Runtime Screen Designer. Is that only on upgraded projects?

Thanks.

Patrick Baker (Visual Studio LightSwitch Test Lead)

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:55 PM
  • If you right click on the project, there should be an Upgrade command. You don't have to add a new HTML Client (this is a change from the Preview Release).

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:31 PM

All replies

• Inline afbeelding 1

Fidller tells you it's JSON now.

paul van bladel

• Proposed as answer by Yann Duran Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Thanks Paul.

I did not have time to install the update and try it on my own.

Markus

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:22 PM
  • So installing this update helps performance of the SL client?
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:59 AM
  • It should do due to the smaller payload.

As an aside, I've just done a performance comparison test between displaying large datasets in a grid based off complicated database views in the Silverlight client vs the HTML client, with the client and database running on my local dev machine. The Silverlight client performance is OK, but still as sluggish as always (an old gripe with LS), but I'm blown away by the HTML client performance - it is instant with no visible sluggishness at all.

This is just an observation and not scientific or empirical at all, but the performance of the HTML client has blown me away.

Regards

Xander

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Since the 'possible' performance gain is related to the underlying ODATA Services and just to be sure: The performance should also improve WITHOUT upgrading the project, right? I cannot upgrade my project (suffering from poor performance @ Huge queries) because i would loose Xtrareports in my Application.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Nice to hear that - hope that there will be also improvements in speed for the SSL version because it is really sluggish...

robert

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:52 AM
  • I am also very interested to know if a project upgrade is necessary, or if this occurs just as a result of installing the CTP.  Thanks
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:19 PM
  • I'm curious is there any more improvement in addition to odata improvement?
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:27 AM
  • Hi Hessc,

I have tested, you need to upgrade to get the json format playload.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

anyone tried to upgrade a Lightswitch 2012 app? I have read about upgrading Client Preview 2 to CTP, but not from LS 2012 to CTP.

If the html client is very fast, maybe it is because of the smaller odata payload. A better performance of the SL Client would be great, but my users has no problem with the speed of LS 2011 apps the most time. Maybe someone tested the speed of the html client with a published app and not on a dev machine?

Thanks.

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Hi, I upgraded a LS 2012 Silverlight client app to Update 2 CTP 4.  I had not previously upgraded to HTML Client Preview 2.  Overall, I had no trouble with the upgrade other than when using the Design Screen feature while debugging.  Once I enter the design screen mode, whether I save changes or cancel, the screen fails to reload.  If I manually stop debugging, then start debugging again, everything is fine and any changes I made are there.  A minor annoyance but I don't use that feature much anyway.  Everything else works great (so far).  As far as performance improvement, it felt a little faster to me on the dev machine, but any gain was slight if at all (could just be my imagination).  It definitely was not any slower than before.  Sorry, I don't have any empirical data to measure performance, just personal experience.  I have not yet worked with the html client.
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:27 PM
  • I wish we could get some clear information from the LS team on the Silverlight client and where it is going. It is very frustrating to try and discover all of this for ourselves and also not having any idea whether there will even be further improvements to the Silverlight client and if so, what they would be.

My rant for the day!

Xander

Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:32 PM
  • I fully agree!  Using the Silverlight client for LOB applications is my only interest in LightSwitch.  Having other clients would be a nice additional feature, but only after the SL client is fully developed, documented and supported.  Clearly that is not Microsoft's view of things, but I still don't understand the lack of communication.

Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:48 PM
  • Totally agree, Silverlight client is current important for me, since the HTML version can not replace Silverlight client for now.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:11 AM
  • Yes, detailed information about the future of the SL Client would be very good.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:34 PM
  • I can confirm that upon upgrade the Silverlight Client and HTML Client will use the JSON format which should provide some performance improvements. Upgrade is required.

Hessc: The issue that you are seeing with the Runtime Screen Designer. Is that only on upgraded projects?

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

Yes, that is correct, only in upgraded projects.  The RSD seems to be working fine now.  Not sure if I just needed to rebuild the project, restart VS2012, or what, but it works fine now.  Thanks for asking and providing clarification on the performance question.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:58 PM
  • No problem. Glad to help. Let me know if you see it again.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:16 AM
  • How do I go about "upgrading" my project?

I've installed CTP4, and opened my project, but I wasn't prompted to upgrade or anything like that.

Free Visual Studio LightSwitch extensions: Elyl's Extensions

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:03 AM
  • Hi,

try to add a html client to your project, so it was possible to upgrade in preview 2, but create a copy of your project before upgrade.

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:18 PM
  • If you right click on the project, there should be an Upgrade command. You don't have to add a new HTML Client (this is a change from the Preview Release).

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:31 PM