none
BackstageView in Office 2016 ignores certain Ribbon callbacks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The following XML taken from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsod/archive/2013/04/05/customizing-office-2013-backstage.aspx works correctly in Excel, Word and PowerPoint 16.0.6366.2036:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
      <backstage>
        <tab idMso="TabRecent">
          <firstColumn>
            <taskFormGroup idMso="GroupOpenPlaces">
              <category idMso="ButtonCategoryRecentDocuments">
                <task id="myTaskFirst" insertAfterMso="ButtonTaskRecentDocuments" label="Custom Task">
                  <group id="myGroup" label="Custom functionality" helperText="This group contains custom functionality.">
                    <primaryItem>
                      <button id="myButton" label="My Button" onAction="CallMe"/>
                    </primaryItem>
                  </group>
                </task>
              </category>
            </taskFormGroup>
          </firstColumn>
        </tab>
      </backstage>
    </customUI>

If, however, you replace

label="Custom Task"

with

getLabel="GetTaskLabel"

you'll see the empty task in the Office UI. The reason is: the GetTaskLabel callback isn't called. Moreover, you can comment the out or delete it: Office doesn't check if the callback exists.

In my tests, the getImage attribute on the task tag is ignored as well.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrei,

>>Excel, Word and PowerPoint 16.0.6366.2036

What is Office version, Office professional or office professional plus? I made a test with microsoft office professional plus 16.0.4312.1000, but I failed to reproduce your issue. I have seen a similar thread, and it says it related with Office updates, I suggest you try to uninstall later updates.

It would be helpful if you could share us the link to download your Office version, and then I could test at my side.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 15, 2016 7:51 AM
  • Edward,

I have already seen a similar issue on the forums when callbacks are not invoked for Backstage controls. I don't know whether it was reported by the same person, but I believe there is a bug in Office 2016.

Saturday, January 16, 2016 5:03 AM
  • Hello Edward,

Office Professional Plus. The same occurs in Excel, Word and PowerPoint 16.0.6366.2056. I don't think uninstalling updates is correct as the updates fix some other issues in Office.

Hi, Eugene!

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Saturday, January 16, 2016 9:10 AM
  • Hi Andrei,

This issue has been reported by many persons. There is no solution at present.

For this issue, I suggest you submit a feedback in the link below:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/

If this is an urgent issue, I will suggest you contacting the Microsoft professional support so that our engineers can work closely with you to troubleshoot this issue. If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 18, 2016 5:17 AM