none
Visual Studio express 2010

Question

• I use Visual Sudio 2008 at work. I want to use Visual Sudio 2010 at home to learn so if I make a mess I won't do any damage at work. Where can I download Visual Studio Express 2010?  So far on Google I have found nothing but viruses. I am self taught with Visual Basic and not ready for WPF yet.
    Monday, February 08, 2016 8:13 PM

All replies

• You can download this version of visual studio 2010 express: Visual Studio 2010 Express All-in-One ISO

Monday, February 08, 2016 9:50 PM
  • I don't think this is what I am looking for. I downloaded the file. It is 694 megs in size. It seems to have the four programming languages but it does not seem to have Visual Studio included. I downloaded one file of this size earlier and all it had was the four programming languages. Am I missing something in the instillation? After installation I searched my system for the file DEVENV.EXE but couldn't find it.

James McLean

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 7:02 PM
  • VS2010 Express does not have devenv.exe. Every language has its own module:
    IDE for C++ is VCExpress.exe, CSharp VCSExpress.exe ...
    e.g. on a 32-bit system they are under
    'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE'

With kind regards

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 8:53 PM
  • I think we are talking past each other. With Visual Studio 2008; Visual Studio is called by devenv.exe. My understanding is that Visual Studio is an interface/framework that enables you to program in any of the 4 program languages available. I assume that you could call any of the languages separately but why bother when it is easier to go thru Visual Studio. I assume that Visual Studio 2010 is the same it is an interface/framework that enables you to work with any language offered. The program name may or may not be devenv.exe but there should be a program that calls Video Studio and that is what I am looking for. I want some way of installing Video Studio express as well as the four programming languages that come with it.

James McLean

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 12:40 AM
  • VS-2010/2008 Express Editions have their limitations. There exists no all-in-one GUI (devenv).
    They are shipped only with these V**Express.exe IDEs. With them, you can just create/load/build solutions/projects in one language.
    e.g. you will not be able to create/load mixed solutions (here err-msg: project-type not supported):

Also they they are unable to load add-ons/extensions.
    Further restrictions (no claim for completeness):
    no jit-debugger
    no remote-debugger
    cannot debug in managed-native-mixed mode
    no MFC (C++)

Besides, IIRC VS2010 Express needs to be registrated, but heard this is not possible anymore.

With kind regards

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 9:08 AM
  • One of us is confused. My previous machine which no longer works, someday I may be able to fix it, has Visual Studio express 2008. I have a complete backup. That is where I got the devenv file name. I am almost completely certain that machine had Visual Studio 2008 on it as well. It may be true that I can't register Visual Studio 2010. Is Visual Studio 2012 or 2013 similar enough to Visual Studio 2008/2010; form based rather then WPF based that I could make the transition from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2012 without having to learn WPF?

James McLean

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:45 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Other members also met the register for VS2010 before, it would be a real issue.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed228fe3-9b16-4be1-8f3f-f04ec60110cb/visual-studio-2010-and-2012-express-registration?forum=vssetup

>> Is Visual Studio 2012 or 2013 similar enough to Visual Studio 2008/2010; form based rather then WPF based that I could make the transition from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2012 without having to learn WPF?

As far as I know, the high VS version like the VS2013 or VS2015 version would supports most of the old project types, of course, if you really want to merge to the high VS version, we could think about the high VS version's Compatibility.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747(v=vs.120).aspx

If possible, you could install the VS2013 community or the VS2015 community version which is also free after you sign in with the Microsoft account.

Before you open the old project in your high VS version, you could take a backup.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 15, 2016 7:40 AM
  • I don't want to go to VS2015. The way I understand it you need to use WPF. That is to much for me and to different from what I am using at work VS2008. I want the closest version I can get to what I am using at work. I want to be able to take a print out of code that I create at home and type it in at work without having to convert the code because of tools etc that I have at home and not at work. Why can I donwload/register VB2010 express  and not the entire package VS2010 and all four languages? 

James McLean

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:26 PM
  • I don't want to go to VS2015. The way I understand it you need to use WPF.
    No, that is not correct. VS2015 includes WPF if you wish to use it, but you are not obliged to use it.
    That is to much for me and to different from what I am using at work VS2008. I want the closest version I can get to what I am using at work. I want to be able to take a print out of code that I create at home and type it in at work without having to convert the code because of tools etc that I have at home and not at work.
    Then I would suggest installiing VS2015 Community Edition both at home and at work.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:42 PM
  • I have no choice on what is provided at work. I use what I am given. I want as much as possible to use at home what I use at work.

James McLean

Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:21 AM
  • Hi James McLean,

Thanks for your friendly response.

It really has no VS2010 setup file in the official site, we also have no the express version downloaded file now.

If you really want to use the VS2010 version, one idea is that you could get it from the MSDN subscriber site:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/

If you do not have an MSDN Subscription, you can  buy a subscription now.

Best Regards,

Jack 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 19, 2016 6:41 AM
  • I hate to be difficult, I seem to manage it to well. I don't think that is the answer either. I don't have a subscription and don't want to pay for one unless I am sure I can get exactly what I want. I checked the URL the file size is the same as the other files which only give the four programming languages. So unless I am doing something wrong when installing this is not the version I want.

James McLean

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:26 PM
  • I hate to be difficult, I seem to manage it to well. I don't think that is the answer either. I don't have a subscription and don't want to pay for one unless I am sure I can get exactly what I want. I checked the URL the file size is the same as the other files which only give the four programming languages. So unless I am doing something wrong when installing this is not the version I want.

I don't understand your dilemma. You say you want at home exactly what you have at work. It sounds like you have a subscription version of VS 2010 at work, so if that is what you want, you have to pay for it. If you want something that doesn't cost anything, then the closest is VS 2010 C++ Express; it comes with fewer features and no support for MFC or ATL. I've pointed out where you can obtain that, for free.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 11:20 PM