none
Reduce loading time of VSTO C# Outlook plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Guys:

I am making a VSTO C# Outlook plugin but got a performance issue. Its loading time is about 500ms most of time but once a while its loading time is greater than 1000ms and it was disabled by Outlook a few times due to long loading time. I have offloaded tasks to a background thread and let  the main thread to complete ASAP. I even created an empty VSTO c# Outlook plugin and its loading time is also about 500ms. I read the document and found the Outlook loading time includes .Net loading time and VSTO runtime loading time. Because the blank plugin also has 500ms loading time, I don't how I can reduce the loading time for both plugins further. Does anyone has a solution for this performance issue?

Thanks,

Michael

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:32 AM

Answers

• The only way I was able to work around that problem is to create a stub addin in Delphi (C++ would work just as well if not better) that did nothing but get loaded by Outlook (in about 20ms)  and start a timer. When the timer fires (Outlook would be idle and not monitoring the addin), it would load the slave .Net addin using the IManagedAddin interface.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

• Marked as answer by Michael OC Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:17 AM

All replies

• The only way I was able to work around that problem is to create a stub addin in Delphi (C++ would work just as well if not better) that did nothing but get loaded by Outlook (in about 20ms)  and start a timer. When the timer fires (Outlook would be idle and not monitoring the addin), it would load the slave .Net addin using the IManagedAddin interface.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

• Marked as answer by Michael OC Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:17 AM
  • Hi, Dmitry:

Thank you very much for your great answer. I'll give it a tray.

Michael

Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:31 PM