Showing Hidden Controls (SP 1 Issue) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

after I've installed VS 2010 SP 1 yesterday, I'm not only getting "InvalidOperationException (Link)" in the Designer all the time, I'm also missing the ability to be able to see Hidden controls on my designer.

That customers won't see the controls in my deployed application is perfect - but why are the Controls hidden for myself in the designer?!

Thank you very much,

Monday, July 4, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• The designer in SP1 will honor the visibility settings just like the runtime does. This decision is by design based on numerous feedback. By always forcing visiblity of hidden/collapsed control we made it impossible to do perform layout tasks because they would not really reflect the runtime behavior. In SP1 you can always temporarily change the Visibility property of your hidden controls. Keep in mind that these hidden controls will remain selectable from the XAML tab as well as the Document Outline.
    Marco Goertz \ Sr. Dev Lead \ WPF/SL Designer \ Expression-Cider \ Microsoft
    • Marked as answer by SeToY Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:50 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:44 PM

All replies

• The designer in SP1 will honor the visibility settings just like the runtime does. This decision is by design based on numerous feedback. By always forcing visiblity of hidden/collapsed control we made it impossible to do perform layout tasks because they would not really reflect the runtime behavior. In SP1 you can always temporarily change the Visibility property of your hidden controls. Keep in mind that these hidden controls will remain selectable from the XAML tab as well as the Document Outline.
    Marco Goertz \ Sr. Dev Lead \ WPF/SL Designer \ Expression-Cider \ Microsoft
    • Marked as answer by SeToY Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:50 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Hello Marco,

thank you for your answer.

Okay, I'm fine with this - an option to enable or disable this would've been good.. but okay.

Sadly I can't use SP 1, because the Designer is throwing an Exception like every 3 seconds and I need to reload it... And thus, I need to remove SP 1 again :(

Thanks anyway!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Have this been fixed ? I've just logged a case with Microsoft ?

Steve

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Well, the "Visibility-Issue" is by design... But the Exceptions in the Designer have not been fixed yet - so I'mma stay without Service Pack 1.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:35 PM
  • I agree that an option would have been a REALLY good idea. Having to type in "Visible" for each hidden control is terribly inconvenient. I would uninstall SP1 for this reason alone, except that it won't uninstall. :-(

Diane Law
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:44 PM