none
Galileo with windows version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have one Galileo board, but I don't have the mirco SD with windows version coming from the windows IOT kit. 

Is it possible I download the windows version and copy to my own micro SD card and boot it?? 

Thanks a lot for you help!

Best regards,

DarkPirate

Friday, August 8, 2014 5:06 AM

Answers

• Before I did anything with the Galileo, I copied the pre-loaded version of Windows on my hard drive and burned a DVD, just in case anything goes wrong. I could upload it somewhere and post it here (though I don't really know, it is probably forbidden by license that every participant had to accept)

The problem is not the windows itself, but the firmware. Galileo's firmware has been modified by Microsoft to run this specific version of Windows and it doesn't work with normal, unmodified Intel firmware (some people have unfortunately updated the firmware with Arduino IDE and cannot run Windows).

There is a section called "Bought your own Intel Galileo?" but it's marked as Coming Soon. Currently, no one apart from Microsoft employees knows how to update the firmware. I guess that we all just have to wait

EDIT: As monkeysl noted, now it is officially possible.

Friday, August 8, 2014 11:13 AM
  • Yes.  You can follow the instructions here to download and setup your own board:  http://ms-iot.github.io/content/IBoughtAGalileo.htm

Ric Lewis

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:20 PM

All replies