No Audio when PC is Connected to TV via HDMI

Question

• I always connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI,and it worked well on Windows 7:i had Audio and Video output on my TV from my PC.Since i installed the developer preview which i'm loving and don't want to go back to Windows 7,when i connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI,it doesn't uses the TV's speakers and keeps on using the laptop speakers.

When i go to Devices in the control panel i see it detects my TV as a monitor and then detects some HDMI audio device,whereas in windows 7 it detected it as a TV and even detected the brandémodel

help please

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:52 AM

Answers

• Did you set HDMI as the sound device?

Have you installed the newest audio and video drivers? If not download them from the manufacturers website.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

• Marked as answer by metrovolution Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:07 AM

All replies

• Did you set HDMI as the sound device?

Have you installed the newest audio and video drivers? If not download them from the manufacturers website.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

• Marked as answer by metrovolution Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:07 AM
  • thanks man.

i just did the first thing you said,set HDMI as my default audio playback hardware and it worked

hopefully the final release will handle things like this just as windows 7 did

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:14 AM