SharePoint 2007 out-of-box Approval workflow is not sending mails under CC section to SharePoint group RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a sharepoint 2007 out of box Approval workflow for one custom list. The issue is.. it is not sending mail to the SharePoint group which is under CC section, the CC section is working fine for individuals and the To section also sending to the individuals and sharepoint group.

Thanks and Regards,

Sarwa

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, August 5, 2011 5:48 AM Nonsense in text removed
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Sarwa,

Based on my research, in OOB approval workflow, the SharePoint groups (e.g. Members group) cannot be used to receive the workflow starting emails for its members.
    When you put the group in To section, and enable option Assign tasks to “ All participants simultaneously”, then the task email notification for each participant should be sent from the Task list, not the workflow starting email notification.

But you can create the email distribution group in AD for the users, who will be put in CC section and can receive the workflow starting email notification.
    Or manually put each user in CC section individually.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Regards, Daniel
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:44 AM

All replies

• Sarwa,

Yo need to make sure that SharePoint group added in cc list has at least READ permission to the item/list to “allow” SPD to properly send/receive the email.
    For example, in a workflow you are validating a number of things before you start the workflow. If these things don’t validate properly, You want to email a “WF Support” Sharepoint group. Since that group has nothing to do with the workflow, You must add a Grant READ permissions task just before sending the email.

Refer links for detail of suggested solution and other possible solutions:
    http://www.mstechblogs.com/sharepoint/sharepoint-designer-workflow-does-not-send-email-to-groups/
    http://www.sharepointdev.net/sharepoint--workflow/send-email-to-group-not-working-47712.shtml

Leonid Lyublinski Wizard of MOSS
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Hi Leonid,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, I have given the members group in CC section, by default that group should have contribute permissions right? even it is not sending emails to that group and one more thing, this is not SharePoint Designer workflow, this is the workflow which is created in SharePoint site itself from list settings--------> workflow settings----------> Approver. 

I have tested it in SharePoint Designer and it is sending mails to the SharePoint groups under To section and CC section without fail. Don't know why it is not sending mails to the groups under CC section in SharePoint workflow. :( 

Please help me.

Thanks and Regards,

Sarwa

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, August 5, 2011 5:48 AM Do NOT post your messages with the text all in Bold.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Sarwa,

Please check settings on the lists associated with WF. You might need to recreate Tasks. If nothing else, look for related errors in ULS log and post them.

Leonid Lyublinski Wizard of MOSS
    Friday, August 5, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Hi Sarwa,

In approval workflow check for the condition which you have applied,This case can be due to the condition is not fulfilled

Create one test workflow and give hardcode values and check by sending an email to CC

Regards

Vinit shah

Regards Vinit Shah
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Hi Sarwa,

Based on my research, in OOB approval workflow, the SharePoint groups (e.g. Members group) cannot be used to receive the workflow starting emails for its members.
    When you put the group in To section, and enable option Assign tasks to “ All participants simultaneously”, then the task email notification for each participant should be sent from the Task list, not the workflow starting email notification.

But you can create the email distribution group in AD for the users, who will be put in CC section and can receive the workflow starting email notification.
    Or manually put each user in CC section individually.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Regards, Daniel
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:44 AM