none
Is it possible to use Kinect v2 SDK for Windows 10 app? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to retarget my application for windows 8.1 to windows 10. 

I upgrade my c# and c++ projects to windows 10 UWP projects. C++ universal windows project which refers Kinect SDK was build fine. But when I'm trying to build c# universal windows project which refer C++ project mentioned above I got error:

error APPX0404: Invalid framework identity 'Name = Microsoft.WindowsPreview.Kinect.8.1, MinVersion = 2.0.1410.19000'. It is expected to have three parts delimited by a comma.

Is it possible to use  Kinect v2 SDK for Windows 10 application and if yes - how can I avoid this error?

Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:26 PM

Answers

• Not yet. There has been nothing formally announced, if and when the K4W team does decide to do this, it will be announced on the Kinect blog and MSDN Dev center site for Kinect.

One thing I do know is to keep in mind Windows 10 UWP is different framework from Win 8.1 store framework. So, there are new classes and libraries to take into account, to be a true UWP Windows 10 app. You can keep running it as Win 8.1 it will be fine, but to get it to take advantage of all the  Win 10 features, there will be some changes, especially if you're trying to use things such as Cortana.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:10 PM

All replies

• Not yet. There has been nothing formally announced, if and when the K4W team does decide to do this, it will be announced on the Kinect blog and MSDN Dev center site for Kinect.

One thing I do know is to keep in mind Windows 10 UWP is different framework from Win 8.1 store framework. So, there are new classes and libraries to take into account, to be a true UWP Windows 10 app. You can keep running it as Win 8.1 it will be fine, but to get it to take advantage of all the  Win 10 features, there will be some changes, especially if you're trying to use things such as Cortana.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Is there any update from Kinect team about this change for 2016 now?
    Monday, January 4, 2016 6:32 PM
  • Sounds to me your using the kinect 360 sdk 1.8, for a Kinect one (v2).
    The kinect one uses a different SDK, and altough functionality is much a like they are not the same, and differ in various ways, so its not simply updating new sdk + drivers, but also update your programs, cause all those calls are different.

Also be aware installing kinect one, might render the xbox360 drivers invalid, so you wont be able to use old 360 apps with the One (v2).

Currently i'm coding a kinect one on windows 10, using its latest sdk under c#, but c++ is also an option if you prefer that (i dont).

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Is there any update around availability of a UWP API?  If the dev team creates a whole new set of APIs which drop functionality this would be a step backwards...
    Monday, February 15, 2016 11:40 PM
  • @PGT2008 - But you are building for Windows 8.1, correct?

Joe Healy, Tampa, FL

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:45 PM
  • Hi jhealy -- no, I am building my app for Windows 10.  The UWP API has been public for considerable time.  It's a real head scratcher that comparable Kinect APIs are still unavailable. 
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:50 PM
  • UPDATE: Here are the plans going forward:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kinectforwindows/2016/05/13/kinect-and-uwp-new-options-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Thanks Dwight, had been digging for the latest...

Joe Healy, Tampa, FL

Sunday, May 15, 2016 7:08 PM
  • So I take it that the problem of receiving the following error when compiling a UWP 10 project will be fixed later with a "Microsoft.WindowsPreview.Kinect.10" library?

Invalid framework identity 'Name = Microsoft.WindowsPreview.Kinect.8.1, MinVersion = 2.0.1410.19000'. It is expected to have three parts delimited by a comma.
    Also, if this is fixed, will it also be available for an Xbox One that is at least in development mode?
    Monday, August 22, 2016 11:14 AM
  • Given Chimera Scorn's remarks:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f7581ab7-eec0-4b9e-9651-cd2f25956692/when-will-the-uwp-kinect-sdk-become-available?forum=kinectv2sdk

There will be no V2 SDK for UWP.  You have to build up your own skeletal tracking layer from the new anniversary edition UWP lower level APIs.  The rest of Kinect’s data can be accessed through the Camera APIs. UWP will require a significant re-working of existing V2 code.

• Proposed as answer by noemata Wednesday, November 2, 2016 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 4:16 PM