Long waiting time for results RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Guys,

I was just experimenting with inheritence and created a table with 50 subtables branching off it. I've created roughly 300 rows in the base table and had extra info spread out across the subtables accordingly. If I now load up a web browser and navigate to the parent entity set ('/base') Astoria take a while to present the data. If I request an entity directly (e.g. '/base(50)') it takes even longer to present the data.

Is this expected behaviour for a table with so many subtables or is it just present in the current bits?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We have done a bunch of work about metadata caching, that was not available in December CTP bits. Metadata caching should definitely help in reduce the loading time - esp after the first request has been made, the next ones should be much faster (we did a bunch of reflection calls and other things for loading metadata).

We also made other significant improvements around edm provider, that should really help. This functionality should be available with the beta bits which should be coming out soon.

Post beta, we are working on query caching (so that we don't have to build the LINQ expression everytime for the same query). Unfortunately, this won't be available in the beta bits. To read more about it, here's the blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/astoriateam/archive/2008/03/31/looking-for-feedback-query-caching-in-data-services.aspx. All these should help in improving request time significantly (esp when the cache is warm).

Thanks

Pratik

Monday, April 14, 2008 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We have done a bunch of work about metadata caching, that was not available in December CTP bits. Metadata caching should definitely help in reduce the loading time - esp after the first request has been made, the next ones should be much faster (we did a bunch of reflection calls and other things for loading metadata).

We also made other significant improvements around edm provider, that should really help. This functionality should be available with the beta bits which should be coming out soon.

Post beta, we are working on query caching (so that we don't have to build the LINQ expression everytime for the same query). Unfortunately, this won't be available in the beta bits. To read more about it, here's the blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/astoriateam/archive/2008/03/31/looking-for-feedback-query-caching-in-data-services.aspx. All these should help in improving request time significantly (esp when the cache is warm).

Thanks

Pratik

Monday, April 14, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Thanks for the response Pratik.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:10 PM