Error while Registering Service fabric cluster package RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to upgrade existing Service fabric cluster to version 6.4.654.9590. for that I first ran Copy-ServiceFabricClusterPackage, and then Register-ServiceFabricClusterPackage as in below-

Register-ServiceFabricClusterPackage -Code -CodePackagePath MicrosoftAzureServiceFabric.6.4.654.9590.cab

, but I get below error-

Register-ServiceFabricClusterPackage : Exception from HRESULT: 0xFFFFFFFF
    At line:1 char:1
    + Register-ServiceFabricClusterPackage -Code -CodePackagePath Microsoft ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Microsoft.Servi...usterConnection:ClusterConnection) [RegisterServiceFabricClusterPackag 
    e], FabricException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : RegisterClusterPackageErrorId,Microsoft.ServiceFabric.Powershell.RegisterClusterPackage

Does anyone have an idea whats going wrong here? any suggestions or solution?

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:26 AM

Answers

• After working with MS team long hours, could fix the issue.
    here are steps taken to resolve it-

First taken the logs from DiagnosticStore...

1. Issue was with the ImageBuilder temp folder which was pointing to wrong temp folder , PFB error details:

[b37c347c9bcf7a3c6c2af8302e50766:132054592001137031] error = FABRIC_E_IMAGEBUILDER_UNEXPECTED_ERROR message = 'Exception from HRESULT: 0xFFFFFFFF'

(00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000002000:131722684755807794) failed to get Fabric version from Image Builder: FABRIC_E_IMAGEBUILDER_UNEXPECTED_ERROR

Destination directory could not be determined/created: C:\Windows\TEMP\qtccdit2.xxp, Error:E_ACCESSDENIED

1. It looks like  ‘Temp’ folder was configured as  C:\Windows\Temp and IB is getting ‘Access Denied’,  so we followed the below steps to mitigate the issue:
    1. Updated the Windows Environment path to C:\Temp on CM Primary
    2. Added ‘NETWORKSERVICE’ to Full Access

Monday, June 24, 2019 6:02 AM

All replies

• Is this cluster running in Azure or on Prem? 

We have a doc for upgrading on prem clusters here you might find useful in case you missed any steps 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-cluster-upgrade-windows-server

And if you are running in Azure we have a similar doc for that as well

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-cluster-upgrade-version-azure

Besides that, have you tried redownloading the newer version of the package? Possible the package got corrupted during download. 

Friday, June 14, 2019 5:48 PM
  • Cluster is running on Onprem and its PROD environment.
    I have followed all the steps correctly as mentioned in the upgrade link but still error is happening during package registration.

Latest version is not taken as it is not yet completely tested, so we are upgrading with-6.4.654.9590

One thing to note that upgrade is happening from D: besides regular C: due to space issues. and Existing cluster is installed at D: also.

Monday, June 17, 2019 5:26 AM
  • Thanks for the extra information. The fact that the upgrade is happening from D: and not C: might be the issue. 

Is this something you are configuring or is it happening by default? 

If the location is on the D drive you might need to specifify that in the command instead of just putting the name of the .cab file. 

So something like 

Copy-ServiceFabricClusterPackage -Code -CodePackagePath D:FilePath\MicrosoftAzureServiceFabric.5.3.301.9590.cab -ImageStoreConnectionString "fabric:ImageStore"

Monday, June 17, 2019 5:30 PM
  • Configuring in D drive is something we are doing instead of C:
    SF cluster is already configured and installed in D:

In  Copy-ServiceFabricClusterPackage I am passing the correct location from D drive where cab file is located.
    But still issue is there.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:38 AM
  • Thanks for confirming that. 

Can you open an issue here: https://github.com/Microsoft/service-fabric/issues

you can CC me on the issue as well. My GitHub name is MicahMcKittrick-MSFT

We can have the SF team look further into this :) 

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 4:02 PM
  • Did Copy-ServiceFabricClusterPackage succeeded? Have You seen:

Upload to Image Store succeeded
    Code package successfully copied.

Have You tried to repeat the copy command?

Friday, June 21, 2019 7:34 AM
  • After working with MS team long hours, could fix the issue.
    here are steps taken to resolve it-

First taken the logs from DiagnosticStore...

1. Issue was with the ImageBuilder temp folder which was pointing to wrong temp folder , PFB error details:

[b37c347c9bcf7a3c6c2af8302e50766:132054592001137031] error = FABRIC_E_IMAGEBUILDER_UNEXPECTED_ERROR message = 'Exception from HRESULT: 0xFFFFFFFF'

(00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000002000:131722684755807794) failed to get Fabric version from Image Builder: FABRIC_E_IMAGEBUILDER_UNEXPECTED_ERROR

Destination directory could not be determined/created: C:\Windows\TEMP\qtccdit2.xxp, Error:E_ACCESSDENIED

1. It looks like  ‘Temp’ folder was configured as  C:\Windows\Temp and IB is getting ‘Access Denied’,  so we followed the below steps to mitigate the issue:
    1. Updated the Windows Environment path to C:\Temp on CM Primary
    2. Added ‘NETWORKSERVICE’ to Full Access

Monday, June 24, 2019 6:02 AM