Where is ICS in Windows Developer Preview Server?

Question

• Where is ICS in Windows Developer Preview Server?  I see it is still a listed service if viewing services by MMC, but right clicking a network connection show no "sharing" tab...  is this just a small feature left out for now?  If it is present in the Server release, I'd like to be informed of how to engage it... Any pointers?

-Paul

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:36 AM

All replies

• Oh, and yea... least I forget...  I love the UI...  and WOW the speed, eh?   Microsoft did well here... again.  Of course, there are the inevitable things that are "different," but not necessarily bad or not good...   humans for the most part traditionally loathe change....  the familiar is always a more secure feeling....   this is a very different look and feel....  it will take some getting used to at first....  but hey, so did Windows 95 ;)   And then Windows Vista/7....  progress is most often overwhelmingly premised on change. 

-Paul

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:40 AM
  • I still find it funny that Developer get access to the server before infrastructure :S I would love to get my hands on the server version, would like to see the improvements in services like: -

Remote Desktop
    Deployment Server << if that is still there (Good for small companies)
    Hyper-V
    And any other new features

Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hey Matthew.

Actually I wear two VERY different "hats" during the day: web developer and Network Administrator (of a decent little datacenter on a couple of FAT fiber lines from LUS (lusfiber.org)...yeah, she's my baby).

On Server and the Client, you should see improved inclusions of Hyper-V. Yes, they are merging (if you would) Hyper-V technology into the client, which I always wondered why it wasn't done before. The new Server Manager is a God send. Again, though, the new UI took some getting used to... but once I grunted and bear'ed with it... it grew on me... now I fling through screens like its my smartphone, which was Microsoft's goal with the new UI as I understand it.

You won't find anything (at least I can't grasp) anything earth-shatteringly new in RDP. Are you telling me you cannot access the ISO for the Server Preview Edition? Here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516/ I thought I read on Twitter that Microsoft opened the Preview up finally. Did I read wrong or was given wrong information? I just signed out... and was still able to download... go to that site link I just posted... you should be able to get you an ISO there. Hope that helps.

These are the features not yet included in the Server edition (and some will never be): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/hh440439

-Paul

Paul Scallan, Jr. SCALLAN SOLUTIONS (*also d/b/a NetMethodz and allied with NEW WAVE TECHNOLOGY, L.L.C.) www.scallansolutions.net www.newwavetech.us
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:06 AM
  • On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:06:18 +0000, ScallanSolutions.net wrote:

You won't find anything (at least I can't grasp) anything earth-shatteringly new in RDP. Are you telling me you cannot access the ISO for the Server Preview Edition? Here:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516/ I thought I read on Twitter that Microsoft opened the Preview up finally. Did I read wrong or was given wrong information? I just signed out... and was still able to download... go to that site link I just posted... you should be able to get you an ISO there. Hope that helps.

That URL only contains client ISOs.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    One person's error is another person's data.

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Yes, I see that now...  I can honestly tell you that it WAS there.  That's where I got it....  I thought it might have to do with me signed in (am a Partner and MSDN subscriber)... but no dice.  If it helps... the actual official file name is:  en_windows_server_developer_preview_x64_dvd_735221.iso  While I would never condone questionable file sharing, etc...  seeing as ow we are all mostly the strong external voice of Microsoft... and we help make their products better through pre-release usage... (kicking the tires)...  I think it goes without saying that there are certainly other methods of obtaining a copy; although the sourcing would perhaps be questionable at times... 

I don't know why Microsoft removed it, but it was on that page...  I still have my download manager link to that page.   It is a sweet release though.  Much encourage your beta of the server build if you have a little "Bat Cave DataCenter Warrior" in you, like me  ;)

-Paul

Paul Scallan, Jr. SCALLAN SOLUTIONS (*also d/b/a NetMethodz and allied with NEW WAVE TECHNOLOGY, L.L.C.) www.scallansolutions.net www.newwavetech.us
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:10 AM
  • As to my original question... it is not listed in the removed or deprecated services/programs/features list officially released... so I am perplexed...  I can use other server services to do the same thing, but I have a lot of small clients who still use the hell out of ICS.

-Paul

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:15 AM
  • Yes Unfortantly My company dose not pay for MSDN and well I cant afford it (I will not get value out of having MSDN) thanks for the info though I just have to wait and hopfully there open it up to Connect like they have in the past...
    Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:49 AM
  • The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Look at the Sticky note thread listed below for assistance on providing feedback.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/5227f0c3-7750-4833-a99f-6247041ddee9

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Thanks Marilyn for stating the ultra obvious and already inferred or understood. One problem I have always had with "informed official replies" is that most often they only regurgitate the obvious, present a corp-canned reply, or provide no meaning info towards ANSWERING the questions posed. As to my question, ICS is not listed as being absent or feature-limited, but is not natively available. I merely copied and registered missing files from server 2008 r2. ICS was then fully available. -Paul
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:57 PM
  • I'm glad you got it working by copying the appropriate files from Windows Server 2008.

I was merely stating that not all aspects of the preview may function since it is a Pre-Beta. I did check and saw that ICS was running as a service and was not deprecated as SUA shows. However, I didn't have confirmation so I gave the information I had. 

Thanks for letting us know the workaround you found to work for you.

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 11:34 PM
  • No problem.  When not working for pay for a client, I always have plenty of "volunteer" or "community" stuff to keep me busy..  and anytime I can give back and contribute, I do... I will admit that in the past, I have not participated in too many Microsoft-official forums...  no real good answer why (could have something to do with the premise behind my rant in my last posted reply in this thread)...  I think if more IT professionals gave back in the off-time.... we would not have such a disjointed family of IT professionals spread out all over with no real threads of communication developing fraternal environments...  blah! 

I also hereby apologize for any bent feelings or emotions that stemmed from my last posted reply here in this thread...  but honestly none of it was directed at you...  In a sense, my actions in replying as such was more like the "kill the messenger" than the "bitch and moan at someone effort.  Per the content of same, though, I do feel that Microsoft would be better served by beginning to delegate answer reply (on MSDN and other Microsoft forum sites) to guys like me out here in the trenches day-in, day-out.  ESPECIALLY IT Consultants....  sure there's a place for datacenter sleepers, but by and large....  in the daily life of IT Warrior Consultants, they are confronted with and discover such a wide-range of issues that it gets aggravating to try to explain a solution to a few techs that are newbies with us... 

I don't understand.... these poor young chaps... they go spend (usually) a bunch of their mum and dad's money on some flavor of an "IT-related" degree, they might also pay a little more then or later and get some flavor of low to medium-level IT certification...  then bam....  "We're here ready to fix stuff!"  What either or both they and the colleges are missing is the essential, primary, and KEY skill that should be present in some fashion even before formalized knowledge efforts:    PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS, which (listen up youngsters) INCLUDES:  a) problem defining...  you have to actually clearly define the problem before you can start figuring out how in the hell you are supposed to successfully solve the problem  OH, hey also:  problems are oftentimes misreported by the client prior to you arriving... so don't depend on their definition of the problem, be your own IT detective   b) when you don't know, don't ask me, BUT go FIND/SEEK OUT THE RIGHT ANSWER OR INFORMATION on your OWN... if you do it yourself.... you'll remember it clearly on down the road of life... bookmark this fact kiddos...  you will be constantly challenged by life's events to remember arcane data from the past c) okay, now implement what you have come up with in the form of a solution to the defined problem....  if its not successful.... don't give up until it is, your client called you to fix this...  he/she is depending on you to do your "magic"  d) lastly (little live CRM here)...  explain in summary fashion in non-tech-speak:  a1) what the actual problem was (problems are oftentimes misreported by the client prior to you arriving... don't depend on their definition of the problem)  b1) what you did to fix it and c1) thank them for contacting you and you will continue to be available for any of their IT needs as you remember to jot down a note to send invoice to client.  

NOW, my little recent college grads who "know" everything and demand a fortune to do nothing and cry like babies when you can't understand why you can't get that fortune your college professors assured you about, because in reality (i.e. the real-world) you know nothing of real value (YET) because you have NO hands-on experience other than those neat school computer labs...and that doesn't really count.... labs are for technology immersion and new skill learning and NOT a replacement for the real-world goodies (ex. overheating in a rack-mount server due to too high voltage variances from the power supply...  ("But, hey the power supply still works, right? So don't replace it?"... okay, here's some good basic info to remember....  electronics don't really like too wide a variance (either above or below designed amounts) on the voltage and current as designed and they REALLY HATE HEAT.... so yeah, we're replacing the power supply..., etc)

Sorry for the BLAH BLOG everyone.... just I get so frustrated by people who plan for and then start out in a career in "problem solving" (..cause let's be honest... IT Consultants... solve problems....  that is our real job... all the "IT" clothing around that is just for appearances...), but then don't have the basic fundamental go get 'em in them to figure it out on their own with whatever available information sources, their own brain, and their real and learning experiences.  You know?  Show some initiative....  you want to solve that problem, then solve it!  What are you asking me for, then?

Yes, now back to focus here:  Developer Preview-Server Edition:

A)  yes, I have consistently found that for any services that were present in Server 2008 R2, but not present in the Dev Pre-Server release and that service is NOT on the specific removed services list (see Microsoft site for this list) that one can simply copy over any missing files from a Server 2008 R2 installation and remember to register files as appropriate.

B) after getting used to new Ribbon UI and outside of a few really "entertaining" "quirks" that appear without any rhyme or reason or schedule, I have widely found the Server edition release to be very stable, very VERY fast.  Definite recommendation for all IT shops.  Server edition has been exhaustively searched through, researched, tested, scenario troubleshot, etc on the following:  several varieties of Dell PowerEdge servers (from the ancient:  yes, I even pulled out the out anchor-weight Dual Pentium III systems to see what this Server Dev Preview was working with, ya know?...  to the latest I have here which is a PE2900 with dual Xeon 5xxx series chips (yes, very nice SOHO or even a bit bigger workhorse)....   also tested on a slew of IBM x345 rack-mount slow, but steady... tried and true work with data slaves.  Encountered no major or critical issues on any server (total of 23 overall).  I did notice a very irregular (or rather totally unexpected long, REAL long boot-up after the first slew of Windows Updates...  but I was patient and it did eventually boot all the way... no other symptomology or related issues AND it did not repeat this with successive windows updates. 

C) WORST THING ENCOUNTERED:  (if it can be characterized as that)... the new Ribbon UI is REALLY, REALLY different experience and will take some getting used to for anyone.  Be patient though...  yeah, there will be at least a few occasions where you'll mutter naughty things under your breath...  very soon, the new UI interface will "click" in your mind and it'll make a TON of sense to you then when you realize that you've suddenly developed the skill to zip, zip, flip, flip through Windows with ease and speed.  ;)

D)  BEST THING ENCOUNTERED:  Hmm, hard to pick ONE thing.... but if I had to, I would say the new server manager.  It is a God-sent improvement especially in heavily forested and multiple AD domain environments.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:12 AM
  • I agree with some of what you say but to put down Grads saying they don’t know nothing is a little harsh I could say so called experts say IT is harder than it should be and not share there knowledge to lower level staff, this is normally called documentation and team work, just because they are 1<sup>st</sup> line and your 3<sup>rd</sup> line (Example) does not mean they are stupid share your knowledge it will make your life easier in the long run...

I was a Grad and I have worked on some **it jobs, and I can say this the hardest job in IT is dealing with the end user (1st line) when you start moving away from into consultant jobs it becomes easier even though you have more responsibility…

What I do agree with is they don’t teach the fundamentals in College and University, I think they should teach how to do day to day admin task and how to rack and stack or even switch configuration, and yes Problem solving skills which won’t be too hard to setup in a lab with the correct lecture teaching

############################################################
    Talking about Dev Server 8 let’s just say I hope they give this to TechNet and not developers to test as even in the early stage there are numerous issues

Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Granted, your right about the all-encompassing comment re: the new Grads....  Please allow me to clarify as such:  EVERY new grad I have worked with, had work for me, or even (yes) worked for.  For all others, yes, unknown quantities and thus the globalized comment was off-base and not properly attributed to appropriately deserving targets....  but then again, we all have bad, ugly days and I tend to gripe (as we all do) when we have bad days.

I am ALL for teamwork and collaborative efforts, BUT I look at it this way and this is why I am ADAMANT about the line of discussion re: new grads I have encountered:  The reason they are asking me to show them is because they have a) not sought out their own answer first, b) are too lazy and/or have no inquisitive initiative to seek out their own answers first.  If they seek their own answers.... they will usually ALWAYS remember the solution, etc in full.  If I just tell them how to do it, they will usually only retain and remember a small portion of the full solution.  If I tell them how to do something while also showing them how to do it, they will retain a bit more, but still far less than the complete, full solution.  I don't do things half-ass and I don't expect nor tolerate the same either from anyone I work for, with, or who work for me.  Now, in that same vein, I will tolerate such, if the original all-in all-for work ethic and effort was present, but still did not amount to the full thing.  Then, yes, I can deal with that.  I can not deal with "IT" people who are more interested in getting paid, or how many hours that can slide on this project or that project. 

I can't comment about others, but me, I do what I do for a living because I love what I do and have been doing since the wee ages.  I don't do it for the money, which is nice and pays bills and all...   but not why I wake up after just a few hours sleep on average every night...  I wake up because I can't wait for what new technologies, paths, issues, etc might be presented to me today and in the future.  I just really dig what I do.  I hold myself to very high standards of practice.  If people want to work with me or for me, they must also feel the same way.  I compromise for noone.  I don't think anybody ever should, but many do, I do not.

-Paul

Saturday, October 8, 2011 3:32 PM
  • What exact files did you copy in order to get ICS working cos i'm having the exact same issue.

Thanks.

Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:55 AM
  • What exact files did you copy in order to get ICS working cos i'm having the exact same issue.

Try using the troubleshooter?   E.g. what happens if you press Win-w and type  Internet Connection Sharing

?

---

Sunday, December 4, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Try using the troubleshooter?   E.g. what happens if you press Win-w and type  Internet Connection Sharing

You can NOT use troubleshooter to solve this issue...well rather, it is not an issue or bug, per se, but rather a service not intended or included in the Preview Developer Release.  You MUST copy the missing files from Server 2008 (or Server 2008 R2).  Offhand (I am at home right now) I don't recall every file I found to copy...  essentially... use a detailed process explorer to find all files and dependencies while running Server 2008 ICS and copy those files to Server 8 (and remember to regsrvr each of the dlls copied over...

I will update this in the next 48hrs.  I have a very busy day tomorrow (Monday), but will provide that information in detail to you on Tuesday.

EDIT:  Sorry about the delay, I had to unexpectedly travel to Lafayette right after the above post.  My mother had a massive heart attack requiring emergency open heart surgery.  She has (and is) in ICU since.  Obviously, my Mom's situation requires my priority.  However, when I have time, I will update this Answer with the details of what and how I got ICS to show up and work.  Please be patient with me right now.  Thank you.
    Monday, December 5, 2011 2:01 AM